Upgrade to R9 390x or watercool R9 290?

I have a reference R9 290, it runs hot and loud. I am tempted to buy an R9 390x aftermarket edition so it isn't as hot or loud but is it worth it? Am I better off watercooling the R9 290 with the nzxt kraken g10 and corsair h55?

I recently got a third monitor and will be playing games in eyefinity so I don't know if the 8GB of VRAM will help with that, I can't turn the settings up in GTA V with my 290 because it uses all 4GB but this is the only game I've had that problem with at the moment. 

So basically is it worth it to spend more money on an older card (290) or buy a new card (390x) and then reuse or sell the 290?

Thanks,

Reece

sorry, I'm just curious

how much FPS (and what settings) you get on triple monitor with 290 in GTA5?

sorry, I'm just curious

how much FPS (and what settings) you get on triple monitor with 290 in GTA5?

I didn't check the fps with a counter but with most settings on high/ultra and with 2x AA it was probably around 30-40fps because it was playable but wasn't as smooth as normal 60fps+

I'd sell the 290 and buy a 390x. The 8 gigs of ram is going to help a ton with a eyefinity setup

I was leaning towards that option, I just wanted a second opinion, thank you

The VRAM will be very helpful for you, especially if you're going for eyefinity. I'd see what you could sell the 290 for first and then base on whether you think it's a good enough upgrade to justify the cost.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

The VRAM will be very helpful for you, especially if you're going for eyefinity. I'd see what you could sell the 290 for first and then base on whether you think it's a good enough upgrade to justify the cost.

I have done that, once I sell the 290 the 390x will have only cost be roughly £170

I'd sell the 290 and buy a 390x. The 8 gigs of ram is going to help a ton with a eyefinity setup

yes, but he will have a very hard time selling reference 290

noone likes them, and they go for as cheap as 170$

yes, but he will have a very hard time selling reference 290

noone likes them, and they go for as cheap as 170$

Anyone who just wants to slap a waterblock on it will buy it. They don't stay for sale very long over on /r/hardwareswap anyway