LGA 771 cooler

Go to solution Solved by Chasem121,

Yes you can just zip tie them on, I zip tied a stock amd cooler on as shown in the pic below. Much cheaper than buying LGA771 coolers as they are kinda expensive

hmsgrtQ.jpg

Hey!

After seeing the brutally cheap computer Linus build with old serverhardware I wanted to do it but build a home server. 
I got hold of 2 xeon cpu 4core, motherboard and RAM. 
I now wonder if you have any tips for the CPU cooling. Socket is 771 but I'm all for modding. The keyword is cheap. So far i spend 1000sek (100euro) and I would like it to be as cheap as possible cause I'm a student ATM. 

So, can I just buy two cheap heatsinks and mod it on with sipties? 

Sorry for the bad spelling, I'm Swedish :D

Here is the motherboard:  http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBP-i.cfm

Best Regards! 

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes you can just zip tie them on, I zip tied a stock amd cooler on as shown in the pic below. Much cheaper than buying LGA771 coolers as they are kinda expensive

hmsgrtQ.jpg

Oh, thank you guys. I think I will just go with two coolers that doesnt make so much noise. Ziptying it is :) 

• 4 years later...
On 12/29/2015 at 4:58 AM, Chasem121 said:

http://i.imgur.com/hmsgrtQ.jpg

zip ties are the foundation of any good pc build

But srsly this helped me out a bunch, i have like 3-4  stock coolers lying around from scrapping old family computers that might work

have a good rest of your life my man