Audio interface or dedicated DAC

Go to solution Solved by SSL,

You've got a bunch of mid-fi headphones; I wouldn't bother investing into source or amp until you break out into top-end headphones.

At that point, I would just get a headphone amp and connect it to the output of your interface - either using one of the other available outputs, or via a splitter from the main output.

Hey everybody,

First of all I'd just like to thank you all for looking at my topic :)

So my situation is as follows:

I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile, and I sort of have a problem/concern that I'm not sure how to solve, thus my attempt to reach out to you lovely people.

Basically, I produce music and in order for audio playback I have studio monitors running off my audio interface, I also run my headphones off of there. I was wondering if I would benefit from purchasing a DAC and a headphone amplifier, just to specifically run my headphones off of (not my studio monitors because I prefer the balanced TRS connections on my audio interface). If so, how would I implement this into my setup, so I could have both the DAC and headphone amplifier run simultaneously with my studio monitors on my computer?

Thanks again for viewing my topic

Why can't you tell us what your current audio interface and headphones are?

Hey everybody,

First of all I'd just like to thank you all for looking at my topic :)

So my situation is as follows:

I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile, and I sort of have a problem/concern that I'm not sure how to solve, thus my attempt to reach out to you lovely people.

Basically, I produce music and in order for audio playback I have studio monitors running off my audio interface, I also run my headphones off of there. I was wondering if I would benefit from purchasing a DAC and a headphone amplifier, just to specifically run my headphones off of (not my studio monitors because I prefer the balanced TRS connections on my audio interface). If so, how would I implement this into my setup, so I could have both the DAC and headphone amplifier run simultaneously with my studio monitors on my computer?

Thanks again for viewing my topic

what are your headphones

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Oh sorry, I thought it would be irrelevant to the situation.

For my headphones I switch between the following:

ATH-M50X

SRH 840

HD 598

DT 990 Pro

DT 880 Pro

...and a couple others xD

My preferred audio interface at the moment is the Roland Octa-Capture but I use the Steinberg UR22 for portable setups.

You've got a bunch of mid-fi headphones; I wouldn't bother investing into source or amp until you break out into top-end headphones.

At that point, I would just get a headphone amp and connect it to the output of your interface - either using one of the other available outputs, or via a splitter from the main output.

Thanks, I guess that sums everything up.

But now that we're already on the topic, what headphone amp/dac would you recommend & any suggestions on high-end headphones?

Thanks, I guess that sums everything up.

But now that we're already on the topic, what headphone amp/dac would you recommend & any suggestions on high-end headphones?

Depends on how much you want to spend in all.

Depends on how much you want to spend in all.

Well under $800 for both the headphones & dac/amp.

Well under $800 for both the headphones & dac/amp.

Even within that budget, anything you could get might be side-gradey. Just warning you. Some possibilities are the AKG K712 Pro, HiFiMan HE-560, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm, Koss ESP-950 (used or on sale), and Audeze LCD-2 (used).

Headphones that I advise against, though some people still like, include the Beyerdynamic T90, Sennheiser HD700, and Audeze EL-8.

Don't bother with a DAC in that budget, get the headphone you want and spend the difference on an amp. Note that the Koss is electrostatic and comes with it's own amp.

Even within that budget, anything you could get might be side-gradey. Just warning you. Some possibilities are the AKG K712 Pro, HiFiMan HE-560, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm, Koss ESP-950 (used or on sale), and Audeze LCD-2 (used).

Headphones that I advise against, though some people still like, include the Beyerdynamic T90, Sennheiser HD700, and Audeze EL-8.

Don't bother with a DAC in that budget, get the headphone you want and spend the difference on an amp. Note that the Koss is electrostatic and comes with it's own amp.

Wow, great options there, thanks for your input! :)

Wow, great options there, thanks for your input! :)

No problem. One more note; since it looks like you haven't tried a planar yet, that might be a good place to start.

If you are getting a separate headphone amplifier, I think you can plug it into outputs 3 and 4 (or any combination 3-8) on the back of the Octa-capture, and configure them in the DAW or the interface controls to duplicate outputs 1 and 2, which remain plugged into the speakers. You could have the headphones with different audio tracks if you wanted. Two balanced/stereo 1/4" TRS Y-splitters would work. On the UR22, you would have to use splitters, unplug the speakers, or plug the new headphone amp into the headphone output on the front (possibly lesser quality going through two amps).

EDIT: I found this in the Octa-Capture software, which shows how to configure outputs: http://i.imgur.com/ofWrf.png

Edited by Peter Smyth

If you are getting a separate headphone amplifier, I think you can plug it into outputs 3 and 4 (or any combination 3-8) on the back of the Octa-capture, and configure them in the DAW or the interface controls to duplicate outputs 1 and 2, which remain plugged into the speakers. You could have the headphones with different audio tracks if you wanted. Two balanced/stereo 1/4" TRS Y-splitters would work. On the UR22, you would have to use splitters, unplug the speakers, or plug the new headphone amp into the headphone output on the front (possibly lesser quality going through two amps).

EDIT: I found this in the Octa-Capture software, which shows how to configure outputs: http://i.imgur.com/ofWrf.png

Thanks man really helpful advice on here :)

No problem. One more note; since it looks like you haven't tried a planar yet, that might be a good place to start.

Oh yeah, I've heard great things about planar magnetic, I guess that's where I'll start in this long journey of being an audiophile.