Android as cellular failover for DSL

Marco2G

Hello everyone

I am switching internet providers and unfortunately, the new line takes a week longer to be setup than the old takes to be shut down.

Now my idea was to use mobile data (which is unlimited) as a backup. Problem is, I can't use WiFi hotspot as that configures the phone as an AP with a completely different IP subnet and two devices are connected with Gig ethernet.

I have a Netgear router that acts as a wifi AP and has a WAN port. It is my main connectivity hub. Two mobile phones are connected through wifi and two PCs through ethernet.

My idea was to configure android in such a way that I can switch the default gateway on the PCs to the IP my android receives from the Netgear router. Basically, I wan't to activate routing on the Nexus 6. Unfortunately, my Google Fu has become weak and frail and the only things it'll spit out is USB or wifi tethering which is not was this seems to be about... 

How would you go about this?

Some routers can be configured to act as repeaters. If that's possible with your Netgear, you should use it to grab the phone connection, and repeat/share it over Wi-Fi and LAN.