Lan not working

Thue500

Hi guys my dad has recently got a new pc where every thing worked fine but a few days ago a lightning struck close to our house. Nothing broke only our old dvd player. There came a big spark out of our router but we don't think it's the problem. Because my pc works fine with a lan cable from the same router. The we thought it maybe was the cable that broke but we tried the cable with another pc and it worked just fine. Im thinking that some of his mobo is broken. But he can use the wireless network. When we go in to settings he is missing one off the options. Can someone explain?

his ethernet controller could have popped. it happens. 

but the port on the router could be shot out too. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

So it's broken?

So it's broken?

yeah, probably

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Hi guys my dad has recently got a new pc where every thing worked fine but a few days ago a lightning struck close to our house. Nothing broke only our old dvd player. There came a big spark out of our router but we don't think it's the problem. Because my pc works fine with a lan cable from the same router. The we thought it maybe was the cable that broke but we tried the cable with another pc and it worked just fine. Im thinking that some of his mobo is broken. But he can use the wireless network. When we go in to settings he is missing one off the options. Can someone explain?

Im afraid to say it  but I think ur correct u might need to get a replacement Mobo, ur Insurance should cover lightning strikes. (at least ours does)

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

It's not the router it works fine.

Im afraid to say it  but I think ur correct u might need to get a replacement Mobo, ur Insurance should cover lightning strikes. (at least ours does)

Okay

But it's weird that the wireless works but not the cable and the rest of the pc runs with no problem and it's not a pci networkcard

But it's weird that the wireless works but not the cable and the rest of the pc runs with no problem and it's not a pci networkcard

The wireless network card is most likely not affected because its on a different PCI-e lane and it wasn't physically attached to the router at the time of 'impact'

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

The wireless network card is most likely not affected because its on a different PCI-e lane and it wasn't physically attached to the router at the time of 'impact'

Okay

But what about the cpu that shouldn't work then?

The ethernet port is specifically designed to prevent large current spikes from travelling into the motherboard and blowing stuff up. It's weird that it didn't affect anything on the router but it did affect the pc's port. 

Regardless, if everything else on the computer works fine, consider it good fortune and just buy a PCIe network card. I wouldn't replace a motherboard because of a dead ethernet port if everything works fine.