How do I install a windows on an ssd i just bought.

So I just received an early christmas present from a family member for an ssd i have wanted for a long time. It is properly installed and is recognized in Disk Management. I am running windows 8.1.

I want to install my win8.1 onto this ssd to use as my boot drive. I booted the windows install disc from a cd-rom drive and started the setup. I was perplexed when no prompt to choose which drive I wanted to install to came up. Do i need to do this from Bios or can I do it when logged in.

So I just received an early christmas present from a family member for an ssd i have wanted for a long time. It is properly installed and is recognized in Disk Management. I am running windows 8.1.

I want to install my win8.1 onto this ssd to use as my boot drive. I booted the windows install disc from a cd-rom drive and started the setup. I was perplexed when no prompt to choose which drive I wanted to install to came up. Do i need to do this from Bios or can I do it when logged in.

is the ssd the same size as your hdd

how full is your hdd?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

disconnect your current HD. make the dvd-rom 1st boot device/the ssd second. ( set to ahci mode ) save and reboot. should work from there.............. or you could clone your existing drive as was being alluded to by techguru above.

is the ssd the same size as your hdd

how full is your hdd?

I have a 240gb ssd and my hd is about 734gb full out of 1862gb.

I have a 240gb ssd and my hd is about 734gb full out of 1862gb.

yea your gonna have to do a clean install then

burn the windows iso file (that you can download on the net ) to a usb drive with RUFUS..then boot the usb drive and do the install

burn the windows iso file (that you can download on the net ) to a usb drive with RUFUS..then boot the usb drive and do the install

Can you give some more explanation to what you said? im not well versed on this part of computer shenanigans :P

Can you give some more explanation to what you said? im not well versed on this part of computer shenanigans :P

search this on google and you will find it

a8b5df0b0816280ae18017bc4b119c77b6c6eb79

thats the iso file you need..I think...

don't operating systems come on discs anymore? OP how were you going to install it?

don't operating systems come on discs anymore? OP how were you going to install it?

Create a bootable USB drive with the OS on it

search this on google and you will find it

a8b5df0b0816280ae18017bc4b119c77b6c6eb79

thats the iso file you need..I think...

Create a bootable USB drive with the OS on it

That doesn't answer the original question. He's obviously got far enough with the disk or however he is doing it. Using a bootable usb won't solve his problems.

disconnect your current HD. 

This, if it's only option is to install to the ssd then it will work (do exactly what you did before to enter the install setup, no need to mess around with usbs). Reconnect the hard drive after install and you'll have to format it in disk management so that you can use it with the os on the ssd.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

That doesn't answer the original question. He's obviously got far enough with the disk or however he is doing it. Using a bootable usb won't solve his problems.

This, if it's only option is to install to the ssd then it will work (do exactly what you did before to enter the install setup, no need to mess around with usbs). Reconnect the hard drive after install and you'll have to format it in disk management so that you can use it with the os on the ssd.

we suggested it with the usb cause he might only have an older 8.0 disc that hasn't been updated

we suggested it with the usb cause he might only have an older 8.0 disc that hasn't been updated

Then ask if the disk is 8.1 or 8.0, don't suggest something that will only complicate things without solving the op's issue.

KISS:

Keep

It

Simple

Stupid

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman