29" Ultrawide Monitors

dannykim

Hey Everyone, 

I've been interested in an Ultrawide monitor, doesn't matter what brand, that will fit my budget of sub $400.

I've been looking at the LG 29UM67 (http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-29UM67-29-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B00VBNQJKU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450782171&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+electronics+29um67)

If anyone knows anything about it let me know!

Also does anyone know if playing PS4 on a Monitor with a 21:9 aspect ratio letter boxes the screen or stretches it?

Thanks in advance!

Almost no chance that it would stretch, pretty sure it letter boxes it.  https://youtu.be/gmXLTzTIOd8?t=11m58s

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Hey Everyone, 

I've been interested in an Ultrawide monitor, doesn't matter what brand, that will fit my budget of sub $400.

I've been looking at the LG 29UM67 (http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-29UM67-29-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B00VBNQJKU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450782171&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+electronics+29um67)

If anyone knows anything about it let me know!

Also does anyone know if playing PS4 on a Monitor with a 21:9 aspect ratio letter boxes the screen or stretches it?

Thanks in advance!

I looked at these the other day, man it looks small.  I compare it to my dual displays (24") and seemed so tiny.  34" is expensive though, that sucks.

You could grab two of these:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025232&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

One to game on, one to do other stuff.

I looked at these the other day, man it looks small.  I compare it to my dual displays (24") and seemed so tiny.  34" is expensive though, that sucks.

You could grab two of these:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025232&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

One to game on, one to do other stuff.

I would go for 2 or even 3 monitor setups but I like the idea of having 1 Big or Ultrawide monitor, I've never been a fan of multi-monitor setups, thanks heaps though!

I would go for 2 or even 3 monitor setups but I like the idea of having 1 Big or Ultrawide monitor, I've never been a fan of multi-monitor setups, thanks heaps though!

When I mentioned the 29" ultra-wide being small I was not exaggerating... it is freakin' small.  Save up for a 34" one.

...or grab a single 27" 1920x1080 monitor.

I guestimate about 40%-50% more screen with my two monitors:  1920x1080(24") and a 1680x1050(21.5").

When I mentioned the 29" ultra-wide being small I was not exaggerating... it is freakin' small.  Save up for a 34" one.

...or grab a single 27" 1920x1080 monitor.

Do you mean small as in the screen real estate because of the bizarre ratio that results in the length being like 3 times the height? Ahahaha

Do you mean small as in the screen real estate because of the bizarre ratio that results in the length being like 3 times the height? Ahahaha

Exactly, yeah.  It is measured corner to corner, diagonally.

Exactly, yeah.  It is measured corner to corner, diagonally.

Yeah I thought so. I'm starting to think at 29", Ultrawide isn't worth it. I'll look into good 16:9 Monitors! Thanks for the help man

Damn that sucks, the main reason I was looking into one was to play PS4 on it. Bummer! Thanks anyway :-)

you want to it be stretched and morphed?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

you want to it be stretched and morphed?

Nah I thought the PS4 supported 21:9 ratios

Nah I thought the PS4 supported 21:9 ratios

that would mean more pixels to drive, we are talking about consoles here m8

Spoiler

Assuming OP is using the monitor largely for gaming (which is likely given his PS4 question), dual monitors is really, really stupid.

Nothing wrong with a 29" UW. 34" is pretty bloody huge, especially if you're sitting quite close to it (ie at a desk)

You can also check out the LG 29" UW curved display- it looks quite nice.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz | GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASUS Z87-Pro | Memory: 16gigs HyperX FuryX | Cooling: Xigmatek SD1483 Frostbourne 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 | PSU: EVGA 750W Gold+ modular | Storage: 128g adata SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD | Monitor: ASUS PA238QR

Assuming OP is using the monitor largely for gaming (which is likely given his PS4 question), dual monitors is really, really stupid.

Nothing wrong with a 29" UW. 34" is pretty bloody huge, especially if you're sitting quite close to it (ie at a desk)

You can also check out the LG 29" UW curved display- it looks quite nice.

Ehh yeah I thought so. It all comes to personal preferance I guess. I just hate the black bars I'll end up with but love the enourmous work space and no vertical black bars when watching movies. Thanks everyone!