%100 RAM and computer freezes (unusable) after being idle for a while

Elliott Game

Hi, I've already posted about the issue and landed on the idea that it was due to a memory leak, a restart fixed it.

However, I notice that everytime I leave my computer idle for a little while come back, notice a scan has been done, I can't move my mouse normally and the computer is literally running at 0.0001 FPS (mouse movement wise)

Here are some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/7bcwf

this happens all of the time for some reason, and I wonder if its due to my Anti-Virus (Norton). Note that my computer has never done this until recently (a week ago) and its really starting to piss me off...

Note also: I've ran a scan with MBAM and it found nothing, I also have had this computer for a while and the HDD is starting to die (read/write speeds are slow as shit)

anyways, any comments are appreciated, thanks.

-Elliott  :)

Hi, I've already posted about the issue and landed on the idea that it was due to a memory leak, a restart fixed it.

However, I notice that everytime I leave my computer idle for a little while come back, notice a scan has been done, I can't move my mouse normally and the computer is literally running at 0.0001 FPS (mouse movement wise)

Here are some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/7bcwf

this happens all of the time for some reason, and I wonder if its due to my Anti-Virus (Norton). Note that my computer has never done this until recently (a week ago) and its really starting to piss me off...

Note also: I've ran a scan with MBAM and it found nothing, I also have had this computer for a while and the HDD is starting to die (read/write speeds are slow as shit)

anyways, any comments are appreciated, thanks.

-Elliott  :)

Download Piriform speccy and check the drive's SMART, or use another tool that does the same. Also, specs?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Download Piriform speccy and check the drive's SMART, or use another tool that does the same. Also, specs?

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965 37 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (AM3) 36 °C
Graphics
S22C350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
LCD TV (1360x768@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 (Gigabyte) 49 °C
Storage
931GB Hitachi HCS721010CLA332 ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

on the HDD: everything is good (according to the program)

I cant believe that a failing HDD would cause a memory usage like that.

First try to reboot the system into safe mode and see what your system RAM utilization is after that.

If your RAM usage in safe mode is under 2gb doing absolutely nothing. Then you have a program that either is open (I saw opera was listed several times in your task manager). Or you have something running in the background that may OR may not be malicious.

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...

Run MemTest86+.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

I cant believe that a failing HDD would cause a memory usage like that.

First try to reboot the system into safe mode and see what your system RAM utilization is after that.

If your RAM usage in safe mode is under 2gb doing absolutely nothing. Then you have a program that either is open (I saw opera was listed several times in your task manager). Or you have something running in the background that may OR may not be malicious.

He said the HDD was slow...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

He said the HDD was slow...

Yes, he said it was dying.

But it appears as if he may have another problem since the picture he had linked showed almost 100% RAM utilization. This should not occur even with a failing HDD unless he is running something quite resource intensive.

The only thing we have to fear is... Stupidity...