Just finished building a new PC but now I've discovered that I need a different motherboard as the one I have at the moment doesn't have enough fan headers so the system gets way too hot :( Ordering a new motherboard and will sell the old one but do I need to re-apply the thermal paste? It would have only been on for a couple days and I'll be using the same processor and heatsink, just on a different motherboard, so is it worth buying some new thermal paste too?

Btw I'm using the stock Intel heatsink/fan :)

Always replace the paste. Cheap and easy to do. Air bubbles get trapped in the paste once removed and can cause even more cooling issues.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Yes you do.  Removing the heatsink and putting it back on will introduce air bubble gaps in the paste, causing heat transfer to be suboptimal.

@TylerCain8

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It would be easier to just pick up a fan splitter or a hub. But unless you're sitting in a sauna, the temperatures should be more than fine with limited fans.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Tyler, i had this case fan issue but you can buy fan head splitters for £3 (im sure you can find something cheaper wherever you are).  mine is a 1-4 splitter that obviously allows me to use 4 fans from one sys_fan slot.  Should be easier than replacing a whole motherboard :)

It would be easier to just pick up a fan splitter or a hub. But unless you're sitting in a sauna, the temperatures should be more than fine with limited fans.

I also had some issues with not enough usb 3.0 ports on the internal I/O, so I was kinda looking to buy a new mobo anyways (that was due to my poor research lol)

Tyler, i had this case fan issue but you can buy fan head splitters for £3 (im sure you can find something cheaper wherever you are).  mine is a 1-4 splitter that obviously allows me to use 4 fans from one sys_fan slot.  Should be easier than replacing a whole motherboard :)

I also had some issues with not enough usb 3.0 ports on the internal I/O, so I was kinda looking to buy a new mobo anyways (that was due to my poor research lol)