800D Multi-rad setup w/H220x

I currently have an old (like first gen old) H100i that I am going to upgrade to an H220x. I eventually want to liquid cool my two graphics cards (970 strix)- not because the stock coolers are bad, I just can't get enough air running through the case to keep everything nice and cool.

Instead of running two dual 120 rads (which looks like it requires quite a bit of modding to work), I was thinking of running the H220x along with two single 120 or 140mm rads. Apart from having quite a lot of tubing circulating the case, would such system actually be effective in cooling my GPU's and CPU? Would I be running into pump issues?

H220x rad mounted at the top as exhaust, One single rad mounted at the front of the case where the optical drive would go as an intake (it's empty free space) and one mounted at the bottom somewhere as an intake.

-SNIP-

Welcome to the Forums!

Longer rads in general tend to do better a bit better than a bunch of shorter rads together not to mention lower price, but you have a 360mm space in the top why not go for something larger like the 360mm EKWB expandable AIO and start from there to build your loop. 

Welcome to the Forums!

Longer rads in general tend to do better a bit better than a bunch of shorter rads together not to mention lower price, but you have a 360mm space in the top why not go for something larger like the 360mm EKWB expandable AIO and start from there to build your loop. 

Thanks

It didn't even cross my mind to check EK even though they are the only ones that make a water-block for the 970 strix. I'll have to watch a Linus Tech Tips review of it...

anyone on here running EKWB stuff? Performance? Fit n finish? leaky fittings?

Thanks

It didn't even cross my mind to check EK even though they are the only ones that make a water-block for the 970 strix. I'll have to watch a Linus Tech Tips review of it...

EKWB stuff is pretty top notch especially for all their waterblocks they are some of the best, fittings are good, but not as nice as some of the Bitspower ones which do come at a steeper cost.

Thanks

Full EK blocks on 780Ti SC, 980Ti Kingpin, and 4770k along with all EK fittings and rads. Never once had any issues.

Full EK blocks on 780Ti SC, 980Ti Kingpin, and 4770k along with all EK fittings and rads. Never once had any issues.

what do you use for coolant?

what do you use for coolant?

There are a few choices for coolants with colored ones being visually appealing to go old fashion distilled water and a biocide or kill coils.

Note for distilled water and kill coils (silver) do not use them in a system that has nickel in where they are borderline dis-similar metals in harsh environments, in those cases if distilled is desired a biocide needs to be used instead of silver.

I personally use and suggest premixed coolants.

• 2 weeks later...

After New Years Hangover Recovery bump:

IF one wanted to use EK -FC terminals instead of tubing... how would one go about doing that? I have an Asus Rampage IV extreme and the space between the first PCI-E slot and the Fourth one (what you're supposed to use for SLI) is quite large, I'm not entirely sure that even the Dual three slot will cover.

I'm going to try to make my own "pre-filled" multi-GPU loop by using the quick disconnects that come with one of the pre-filled blocks you can now order-- OR by some miracle finding the quick disconnects at some price that is cheaper than the pre-fill option EK has, because I'd be taking the pre-filed unit apart for those fittings only.

After New Years Hangover Recovery bump:

IF one wanted to use EK -FC terminals instead of tubing... how would one go about doing that? I have an Asus Rampage IV extreme and the space between the first PCI-E slot and the Fourth one (what you're supposed to use for SLI) is quite large, I'm not entirely sure that even the Dual three slot will cover.

I'm going to try to make my own "pre-filled" multi-GPU loop by using the quick disconnects that come with one of the pre-filled blocks you can now order-- OR by some miracle finding the quick disconnects at some price that is cheaper than the pre-fill option EK has, because I'd be taking the pre-filed unit apart for those fittings only.

For the FC Terminals they would require you to remove the original ports on the GPU blocks and get an FC terminal of the correct spacing and if needed blanking plates in between.

As for the GPU blocks with quick disconnects I suggest you to purchase quick disconnects separately and built it into your custom loop it will be much easier and less work than having to take apart the prefilled units from EKWB and modify it with the FC terminals.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-black-sparkle-quick-disconnected-female-with-inner-g1-4.html

http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-black-sparkle-quick-disconnected-male-with-inner-g1-4.html

I've found an online store that sells CPC medical grade/industrial grade quick disconnects at reasonable prices (including the US$->CAN$ conversion) http://quickcouplings.net/osc/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=f27c7eeadd6656132f2f833d416e7db0

If you have a source for that stuff sure, they make some top notch QDC, but I would say getting separate blocks and FC terminals to build and add into that would still be easier though or just a custom loop with the parts you have.

If you have a source for that stuff sure, they make some top notch QDC, but I would say getting separate blocks and FC terminals to build and add into that would still be easier though or just a custom loop with the parts you have.

Yup. I decided to go with the x360 kit instead of the predator and tackle the GPU's a little later once I've figured out what I need/ where I'm going to mount a second rad.

Yup. I decided to go with the x360 kit instead of the predator and tackle the GPU's a little later once I've figured out what I need/ where I'm going to mount a second rad.

It's a fairly large case, you may be able to modify the basement a bit to fit another rad into there.

Thanks

One thing I would suggest. I had a Ekwb 360 Predator leak. The ones you can buy direct from Ekwb have all been fixed. Some of the ones the vendors still have might still have the bad o-ring in the cpu block. @EK Luc Hangs around these forums and has been giving us updates.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

One thing I would suggest. I had a Ekwb 360 Predator leak. The ones you can buy direct from Ekwb have all been fixed. Some of the ones the vendors still have might still have the bad o-ring in the cpu block. @EK Luc Hangs around these forums and has been giving us updates.

I was following the whole thing on an overclocking forum. I had a gift card for NCIX so I used it and got the X360 kit instead. I'll probably order the GPU waterblocks, second rad, and assorted fittings from EK directly.

It's a fairly large case, you may be able to modify the basement a bit to fit another rad into there.

Either that, or mounting a single 140 where the expansion slots for an optical drive or 4 would have gone. The rad in the 360 kit is pretty beastly. 

I could also gut the whole front end of the case and mount a dual 120 or another 360 in there.

I was following the whole thing on an overclocking forum. I had a gift card for NCIX so I used it and got the X360 kit instead. I'll probably order the GPU waterblocks, second rad, and assorted fittings from EK directly.

Either that, or mounting a single 140 where the expansion slots for an optical drive or 4 would have gone. The rad in the 360 kit is pretty beastly. 

I could also gut the whole front end of the case and mount a dual 120 or another 360 in there.

If your wanting a dual GPU and CPU loop adding in that extra 240mm rad you have will give you great silent cooling even with overclocking.

I've also contemplated selling my 800D and buying a Thermaltake X9 or something.