Best way to grab audio from multiple devices and output to one

Satlen

Hello fellow LTT users, I am currently trying to figure out how to configure my home setup retaining the highest quality audio possible. My current setup is just how I like it but has to go through my monitors terrible DAC. Anyways I have an Xbox One and a PS4 and I want to be able to hear their audio alongside my PC's audio depending on which is being used (doesn't have to be all 3 at once). Currently I have audio from each console coming through HDMI and into my monitor. My monitor is then outputting the HDMI audio into a 3.5mm which I plug into my line in and use voice meeter (software) to output to my headphones which are using an audioquest dragonfly. This works great because my monitor outputs the audio of the current source but the issue is that there is a lot of feedback and the quality of the audio is pretty bad at high volumes. Now I know I can solve all of this by getting an AV receiver but I am just trying to see if there are any other cheaper options out there. I had ideas of converting the optical audio from each console into 3.5mm and then mixing those somehow but not sure if there is anything out there made just for mixing a few analog inputs. Any help is appreciated and sorry for the somewhat lengthy post.

You can't just convert "optical into 3.5mm" because these mediums do not carry the same kind of information. You need a DAC (digital to analog converter) to convert the digital from optical to the analog over 3.5mm. Which is basically what a receiver would do for you.

You can't just convert "optical into 3.5mm" because these mediums do not carry the same kind of information. You need a DAC (digital to analog converter) to convert the digital from optical to the analog over 3.5mm. Which is basically what a receiver would do for you.

Hmm I saw this http://www.audioquest.com/fiber-optics/3-5mm-toslink-adaptor and thought that is what it did but guess not. So would you say my only option is a receiver?

So would you say my only option is a receiver?

As far as I know, yes.

Hmm I saw this http://www.audioquest.com/fiber-optics/3-5mm-toslink-adaptor and thought that is what it did but guess not. So would you say my only option is a receiver?

What you could do is... 

Grab one (or two) of these: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-digaud-2-aaud.jsp?prod_id=5279

and a RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

Then, you could use a mixer to output all the channels into one source and just change the volume of each when you want to use that machine. A mixer I suggest that would work probably the best is the Astro Mixamp Pro. As it has 3.5mm, optical and USB in. That means you would only need one of the before mentioned adapters for either your xbox or PS to convert it's optical, as the other optical cable to run straight into the mixamp and your PC on the USB output.

This way, depending which system is plugged into the mixer via optical, you could use the mixamps 7.1 surround sound mode and EQs.

The other option would to buy two of the before mentioned adapters and a cheaper mixer to mix the 3 audio signals. 

What you could do is... 

Grab one (or two) of these: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-digaud-2-aaud.jsp?prod_id=5279

and a RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

Then, you could use a mixer to output all the channels into one source and just change the volume of each when you want to use that machine. A mixer I suggest that would work probably the best is the Astro Mixamp Pro. As it has 3.5mm, optical and USB in. That means you would only need one of the before mentioned adapters for either your xbox or PS to convert it's optical, as the other optical cable to run straight into the mixamp and your PC on the USB output.

This way, depending which system is plugged into the mixer via optical, you could use the mixamps 7.1 surround sound mode and EQs.

The other option would to buy two of the before mentioned adapters and a cheaper mixer to mix the 3 audio signals. 

Hmm I might go with your first solution as I have a mixamp already. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I also saw this switch that would allow me to easily switch between the 2 optical cables from each console and input the single output of the switch into the mixamp.

Hmm I might go with your first solution as I have a mixamp already. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I also saw this switch that would allow me to easily switch between the 2 optical cables from each console and input the single output of the switch into the mixamp.

Ohh very nice. Let me know how it goes :)