How to configure the s340 case (air flow)

IAmBPala

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone has some insight or know from personal experience with this case or one similar, whats the best fan config? It has 2x 140mm or 120mm in the front of the case that can fit a water cooler (I will be mounting a h100i in front), it also has a spot for a 140mm fan on top and a 120mm in the back of the case. I was curious because I want to make sure I have the best airflow setup possible so I am looking for some advice! Also not sure if I am allowed to post a picture of the case ( I don't have it yet because Santa is giving it to me for Christmas ;) )​.

Also if I had to take a guess at what the setup should be. I was assuming putting the radiator mounted in front with my fans pushing into the case (Idk if I could set it up to pull into the case however if it makes more sense I can have it exhaust out of the case through the rad), and then have the 140mm and 120mm exhaust outside of the case. I am not sure if that would be the best airflow setup? But if you have any input at all I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for taking a look/for the input in advance.

Put the  Rad as an intake, it will only raise the incoming air temp by 2-3c...  then its up to your GPU, I wouldn't use the top fan because then your more likely to get dead iar at the bottom near the GPU.  I Removed the PCI slot covers under my GPU to promote airflow out of the case at the GPU...

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Put the  Rad as an intake, it will only raise the incoming air temp by 2-3c...  then its up to your GPU, I wouldn't use the top fan because then your more likely to get dead iar at the bottom near the GPU.  I Removed the PCI slot covers under my GPU to promote airflow out of the case at the GPU...

Thanks for the response! so you think there is no point to having the top 140mm fan in at all?

Thanks for the response! so you think there is no point to having the top 140mm fan in at all?

A top 140mm exhaust can help but might not be necessary. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Definetly hve the rad be the intake because the front of the S340 where the radiator mounts has a dust filter and it's not set up to be pushing air out of there. If it was me, I'd set the H100i fans to pull air because it's a pain in the ass to dust a radiator in push configuration.

As for exhaust, the case comes with 2 120mm fans preinstalled in the back and top, so might as well keep them installed unless you're replacing them. If you want to spend a few extra bucks, get a 140mm fan to get some more air moving through the top exhaust.

Side note: The H100i will be a tight squeeze into the case due to the wire shroud, but it should be able to fit with about 3mm to spare.

Personally still optimizing my s340 airflow... But any air you pull out the top 2fans is air not going to you gpu. With a front rad your cpu will always be optimally cooled, so your next thought should probably be your GPU.

If 100% of air in goes out the top what is to prevent a air from stagnating in the bottom of the case... If your card has a blower it will pull air, but if it's an aftermarket open cooler it's going to circulate to some extent.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

Personally still optimizing my s340 airflow... But any air you pull out the top 2fans is air not going to you gpu. With a front rad your cpu will always be optimally cooled, so your next thought should probably be your GPU.

If 100% of air in goes out the top what is to prevent a air from stagnating in the bottom of the case... If your card has a blower it will pull air, but if it's an aftermarket open cooler it's going to circulate to some extent.

So maybe I should put the top 140 to pull into the case, front rad pull in, and the 120 in the back of the case to exhaust?

Definetly hve the rad be the intake because the front of the S340 where the radiator mounts has a dust filter and it's not set up to be pushing air out of there. If it was me, I'd set the H100i fans to pull air because it's a pain in the ass to dust a radiator in push configuration.

As for exhaust, the case comes with 2 120mm fans preinstalled in the back and top, so might as well keep them installed unless you're replacing them. If you want to spend a few extra bucks, get a 140mm fan to get some more air moving through the top exhaust.

Side note: The H100i will be a tight squeeze into the case due to the wire shroud, but it should be able to fit with about 3mm to spare.

If I put my fans first, I think it fixes that issue from what I have been reading up on. But we shall see today is the day!