Desk cable management

thezodiacmachine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Linus "Rugged Man" Sebastian covered this:

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

velcro straps

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Okay, so among my friends I am considered some what of a cable management freak, so I'll give you some sage advice:

• For the drawers, get some sticky backed Velcro, you can put it on the underside of the desk and the top of the drawers, and it'll hold it in place. Will come off easily with a bit of scraping, and to remove sticky residue you can use the same cleaning supplies (alcohol) that you use to remove thermal paste/grease
  • As for cable management:
    • Get cable ties, lots and lots of cable ties (I recommend getting lots of short ones and lots of long ones for different sizes of things you need to tie)
    • Get something like this to put your power strip in and to keep the spare cable length
    • To run cables along your desk or along the underside get something like this
    • For anchoring chargers get something like this, as you can remove the cable easily then slot it back in
    • For running cables up to your desk from the floor neatly, get tubing. I like this tubing as it's easy to get cables out of quickly
    • Also, a USB hub can be helpful, as you can have 1 cable running to your PC, and have all of your peripherals plugged into this, inside the power strip box. 

PS I wasn't paid for any of these recommendations, and there are many products that do the same, probably for less.

I'm considered somewhat of a cable management freak amongst my friends, and here's a short guide I made the other day for another forum user.

I having some problems doing that.. anyone have any tips and tricks? its really bugging me

Make sure to follow your posts when you ask a question, so you know when people respond to it.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Arranging your components in a way that makes them easier to cable manage will make things easier.

If you are right-handed, then many of your devices are going to naturally end up on the right side of your desk.  This makes for more cables on one side and perhaps a more difficult time than if you spread things out a bit.

Using more than one outlet to power your workstation might also alleviate too many cables in one spot.  If you have a second outlet close by, it might be worth it to extend some of the power cables to that outlet.

Longer cables sometimes make it easier.  It seems counterintuitive, but a longer cable might give you more options for cable management

Tie/mount your cables to something else whenever possible.  Examples: Desk legs, underside of desk, other cables.

Getting the power strip/surge protector off the floor is the single biggest improvement.  I've done it to pretty much every bit of electronics in my house and it makes vacuuming/dusting/keeping everything clean sooo much easier.