Do I need a Dac?

AllHokage

So I've been saving up a whole lot of money and I still got some more to spend after upgrading my PC. So I thought why not upgrade my audio as I have been neglecting it for years.

So I was thinking about getting a DAC "AudioEngine D1" along with these 2 headphones to get me started in the world of "audio tech".

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1450321479&sr=8-1&keywords=ath-m50x&linkCode=sl1&tag=urav-20&linkId=61089a5281bac3986862510d2cea159f

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B00MCHE38O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1450321368&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+xb950bt&linkCode=sl1&tag=urav-20&linkId=d27f0b70994824dfd026ec8c13ab57f4

So will the DAC be worth it is the main question?

Might add this later...

You don't need a amp for either of those headphones. Having a DAC however is up to you, most are sold as a combo amp/dac unit. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Onboard sound is usually adequate. An amp is required when the headphone cannot become loud enough plugged directly into the motherboard.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You don't NEED a DAC, as both of those headphones are low-powered and don't require it, but you could get one for improved quality (which you may not even perceive). 

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Well I'm looking at getting Audiophile sound quality. All the YouTuber's I have seen (Tech) use them and they say it improves the quality by a fair bit.

So wanted to give it a try... 

Might add this later...

Well I'm looking at getting Audiophile sound quality. All the YouTubers I have seen (Tech) use them and say it improves the quality by a fair bit.

I think it's safe to say all audiophiles own a DAC/AMP combo. 

The type of AMP being used and the headphone being worn is whats most important. You've got tube amps of all sorts out there. 

I'd suggest against getting the M50x solely on the notion I feel like their overrated. I own a M50 and have had it for years, and since then expanded my headphone collection. After trying out various different headphones I've come to the conclusion that the M50 if anything is a entry level headphone, you can get nicer alternatives for around the same price. 

Good reads here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/591059/a-concise-view-of-why-the-ath-m50-is-no-longer-king

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed#pfmwEK3vuzM5tgej.97

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I think it's safe to say all audiophiles own a DAC/AMP combo. 

The type of AMP being used and the headphone being worn is whats most important. You've got tube amps of all sorts out there. 

I'd suggest against getting the M50x solely on the notion I feel like their overrated. I own a M50 and have had it for years, and since then expanded my headphone collection. After trying out various different headphones I've come to the conclusion that the M50 if anything is a entry level headphone, you can get nicer alternatives for around the same price. 

For $10 more I'll Just get the 50x with it's detachable cord... So a DAC isn't going to be worth the $200?

And will the headphones above be noticeably better then my Cloud 2 gaming headset?

Might add this later...

M50X's aren't worth, such a generic sound.

No life them at all.

If you are gaming I'd rather have AD700X's over M50X

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

M50X's aren't worth, such a generic sound.

No life them at all.

If you are gaming I'd rather have AD700X's over M50X

Already have gaming headset's... The M50x are for all around use (music/video editing/watching anime/moves/tv). 

While the Sony's are for maybe chilling on a laptop doing the above or maybe even when I get sick of cords (more bass heavy).

So I going for a variety of different sounding headphones, and I plan on also getting a pair of open ear later down the track.

Might add this later...

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

For $10 more I'll Just get the 50x with it's detachable cord... So a DAC isn't going to be worth the $200?

And will the headphones above be noticeably better then my Cloud 2 gaming headset?

The HyperX Cloud 2 is basically a Qpad QH-90 - Takstar Pro 80 which is a good headphone in terms of audio quality. 

Whether if it'll sound better or not is up to your personal preference though. I recommend some of Audio Technica's other headphones such as the MSR7(Really a brilliant pair), If your interested in looking into open back headphones, you can give some of the AKG K7 series headphones a try or go for some Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica or Sennheiser options. 

Try out a DAC with a high quality audio file and then listen to it without the DAC and make your conclusion there. Here read this: 

http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/dac-do-you-need-an-external-digital-to-analog-converter

I have a DAC to give me less interference on my headphones - there's just too much going on inside the case. I don't use an amp, however, because it can drive my £15 Amazon Basics headphones just fine ;)

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

You could pick up the HD598's little brother the HD558 and modify it to sound about the same! It's a cheaper option if your willing to tinker.

I do own a HD598 and it's low end is lacking compared to headphones like the AKG K7XX, it's got a great mid range however. 

eww

You could pick up the HD598's little brother the HD558 and modify it to sound about the same! It's a cheaper option if your willing to tinker.

I do own a HD598 and it's low end is lacking compared to headphones like the AKG K7XX, it's got a great mid range however. 

ewww the 598's are a really ugly pair of headphones, kinda looking for looks as well ;/

Anyway going off topic, I'm happy with the headphones I'm choosing.

So It looks like I don't really need a dac.

Might add this later...

eww

ewww the 598's are a really ugly pair of headphones, kinda looking for looks as well ;/

Anyway going off topic, I'm happy with the headphones I'm choosing.

So It looks like I don't really need a dac.

The 598SE is all black.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Looks like it's already been covered by non-idiots, but no, do not spend money on a DAC at this level; not unless you have obvious interference from EMF sources in your computer.

In particular the Audioengine D1 is overpriced and craptastic. I would also suggest that in the interest of maximizing sound quality per dollar, that you don't bother getting an amp for a headphone under $150-200.

Since it looks like your total price range is about $300, I recommend going for a headphone in that range. AKG K7XX, uh, HiFiMan HE-400S, Philips X2, that kind of shit. You kind of need to decide of you want to stay with the cupped and colored sound of the closed headset, or expand into open audiophile land.

Looks like it's already been covered by non-idiots

IDIOT REPORTING IN!

Do I need a schiit stack for my skullcandy circumaural earbuds to go with my AudioQuest cables?

/s obviously.

IDIOT REPORTING IN!

Do I need a schiit stack for my skullcandy circumaural earbuds to go with my AudioQuest cables?

/s obviously.

You need a ToTL tube amp with an multi-bit DAC. The increased output impedance of the amp improves the tonality of overall bass response, creating a more silky smooth, warm sound

You need a ToTL tube amp with an multi-bit DAC. The increased output impedance of the amp improves the tonality of overall bass response, creating a more silky smooth, warm sound

I do want to try a multibit DAC.

Negative or positive? OR BOTH!?!?!

Glad to see you taking things less seriously these days.

I do want to try a multibit DAC.

I don't think it'll really create any audible differences. I do however, appreciate the engineering work that goes into creating one.