Need a new super quiet PSU.

winningsince1337

My rig specs are in my signature below. My current PSU works great with the one main issue that the fan's bearing has started to go and it makes a grinding noise that isn't that loud but bothers me when I'm studying at school. Ideally I'd like a high-quality PSU that has a fan less mode that doesn't run the fans at idle so I can spare my ears at school when studying. Thanks so much in advance!

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Just replace the fan in your current PSU. Grab something nice from Noctua and you won't have any problems with noise.

I just put a 140mm redux in my PSU to replace the stock fans that had a bad bearing and rattled. It's great now, can't even hear it. For the first couple weeks I occasionally would put my hand at the back of the case just to make sure it was still blowing cause it's so quite.

Just replace the fan in your current PSU. Grab something nice from Noctua and you won't have any problems with noise.

I just put a 140mm redux in my PSU to replace the stock fans that had a bad bearing and rattled. It's great now, can't even hear it. For the first couple weeks I occasionally would put my hand at the back of the case just to make sure it was still blowing cause it's so quite.

Does it use a regular 4 pin fan header?

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Does it use a regular 4 pin fan header?

No, it's usually just a 2 pin (possibly 3 if your PSU has a LED fan and how it's hooked up). Requires some work beyond just pluging in a new one on your end but it's easy enough IMO that it's worth doing it over buying a new PSU; especially if the PSU you have is quality and nothing else is wrong with it.

For mine, I removed the old fan, abandoned the LED wire hookup, pulled the 4 pin adaptor off the Noctua, pull the 2 pin out the old PSU fan, pulled back Noctua sleeving, cut away blue and green wires (if I rememeber correctly), then fitted the yellow and black wires of the Noctua to the old PSU fan adaptor in the same power/ground orientation (required some trimming with an exacto knife to make sure the contacts seated correctly in the 2 pin adaptor) and then plugged it in, put it back together and done.

No soldiering required. Though you can do that too if you're comfortable with it.

Also, PSU can be a dangerous, don't go poking around on the internal while you have it open.