Thermal pads pk?

Tweakforce_LG

Long story short, i was removing a heatsink from a 2003 laptop that needs to be on often. The northbridge thermal pad git slightly ripped but is intact still and on the northbridge still. I cant get new thermal pads. I positioned the ripped (but intact to the rest) part back into position. Below i have a picture the rip. Is it safe to put the heatsink back on and it should be ok?a145e74041a984c7461fa1c3eb3d29b8.jpg

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

should be, mend it with paste

Long story short, i was removing a heatsink from a 2003 laptop that needs to be on often. The northbridge thermal pad git slightly ripped but is intact still and on the northbridge still. I cant get new thermal pads. I positioned the ripped (but intact to the rest) part back into position. Below i have a picture the rip. Is it safe to put the heatsink back on and it should be ok?a145e74041a984c7461fa1c3eb3d29b8.jpg

Long story short, i was removing a heatsink from a 2003 laptop that needs to be on often. The northbridge thermal pad git slightly ripped but is intact still and on the northbridge still. I cant get new thermal pads. I positioned the ripped (but intact to the rest) part back into position. Below i have a picture the rip. Is it safe to put the heatsink back on and it should be ok?-PIC-

That looks like thermal paste to me but hard to tell from the photo, if it's a thermal pad it should probably be replaced from the looks of things.

should be, mend it with paste

Adding paste usually makes it worse? And is the rip pritty minor

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

I saod i cant get anny

The black is from dust, the rip is near the top right

I saod i cant get anny

They aren't that expensive on Amazon, if you want to give it a go to see if it's ok then you can remount it and check the temps on that chip, if it's overly hot then you know it should be replaced. Thermal paste while good at transferring heat is only made for small gaps and filling in the pores of the metal not bridging larger gaps. 

Ill take a risk, im sure it will be about the same temps, the rip was close to the top and small

They aren't that expensive on Amazon, if you want to give it a go to see if it's ok then you can remount it and check the temps on that chip, if it's overly hot then you know it should be replaced. Thermal paste while good at transferring heat is only made for small gaps and filling in the pores of the metal not bridging larger gaps.

There is no north bridge sensor but the pc runs fine

Is it likely to cause issues if i cant read the temp of NB but its running quieter and good now

Is it likely to cause issues if i cant read the temp of NB but its running quieter and good now

If it works then I wouldn't worry too much, I believe HWmonitor has an MCH or Tempin2 reading which should be the northbridge.

If it works then I wouldn't worry too much, I believe HWmonitor has an MCH or Tempin2 reading which should be the northbridge.

I have linux and cpu is 44c and some random temp sensor i don't know what for constantly reads 48-50c. Ill look at its name and tell you later when i get round to it. Is 48-50c assuming its the NB temp (not sure it is) safe for an old laptop from 2003

I have linux and cpu is 44c and some random temp sensor i don't know what for constantly reads 48-50c. Ill look at its name and tell you later when i get round to it. Is 48-50c assuming its the NB temp (not sure it is) safe for an old laptop from 2003

Sounds all good to me  :)

Sounds all good to me :)

Thanks for the help :)

Sounds all good to me :)

The name of the sensor is

acpiyz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

When idle it reads 50c, when running YouTube it stays at 59c

If thats the NB with intergrated gma950 is it ment to run at those temps?

The name of the sensor is

acpiyz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

When idle it reads 50c, when running YouTube it stays at 59c

If thats the NB with intergrated gma950 is it ment to run at those temps?

Yeah those look good for northbridge or southbridge controllers as long as they are below 75C they are good, not bad for an older laptop. 

Yeah those look good for northbridge or southbridge controllers as long as they are below 75C they are good, not bad for an older laptop.

Awesome, thought i had to wait to order a new pad, yaay [emoji14]