PSU choosing for my system

JoshPC

For the future I'm planning to for for 960 SLI, yes I know I could go with a single 970 but it cost a lot. I'm curious because I want to save some dollars and buy a Powersupply with more wattage which I would use for my starting system (OC g3258 and 1 gtx 960) then upgrade to SLI and i5-4460. So here are my questions.

Q: Would buying more wattage then your system requires be wasting electricity?

Q: Would 550w be enough for GTX 960 SLI and i5-4460 if not would PSU wattage would be?

I have a budget for my PSU of anywhere between 90-120 AUD

Please leave a suggestion on what PSU would be good for me, don't really mind how it looks because the case I have has a shroud for the PSU.

Thanks, Josh

For the future I'm planning to for for 960 SLI, yes I know I could go with a single 970 but it cost a lot. I'm curious because I want to save some dollars and buy a Powersupply with more wattage which I would use for my starting system (OC g3258 and 1 gtx 960) then upgrade to SLI and i5-4460. So here are my questions.

Q: Would 550w be enough for GTX 960 SLI and i5-4460 if not would PSU wattage would be?

Please leave a suggestion on what PSU would be good for me, don't really mind how it looks because the case I have has a shroud for the PSU.

Thanks, Josh

a:a tiny it.  itll be cents a year

a: it should be just fine

Thanks, Josh

Answer 1: If the PSU is good and there isn't much price difference between the PSU with lower wattage then it's worth it.

Answer 2: Yes, 550W will be enough for GTX 960 in SLI but i would go for an SeaSonic 620W PSU.

Thanks, Josh

Q1 : No as unused power is not taken in from the wall by the PSU.

Q2 : Yes it would be more than enough, just use pcpartpicker to double check

PSU (http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100203010&IsNodeId=1&page=1&bop=And&SpeTabStoreType=1&SrchInDesc=seasonic&PageSize=30)

Save money by getting the R9 380 4GB instead, as it is cheaper and allows you to get a better PSU with better performance.

-EDIT-

You save 90 AUD for going for a better performance, more power hungry GPU.

Thanks, Josh

A. No.

B. Yes, plenty of wattage,

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

A. No.

B. Yes, plenty of wattage,

If I were to buy an i5-4690 k instead would 600w still be enough?

If I were to buy an i5-4690 k instead would 600w still be enough?

Even if you overclocked you'd struggle to reach 400W. You're good.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Even if you overclocked you'd struggle to reach 400W. You're good.

Thanks for the information, most likely going to buy a 550w

Thanks for the information, most likely going to buy a 550w

I assume that means either an EVGA GS/G2 or Seasonic G-series? Cuz those guys are the most common 550W variants of power supplies. They're all good.