My cpu usage goes up when I lower settings in games?

DGaming

Guys, I have a huge problem! I notice in AC Syndicate my cpu stays at 100% usage all the time! And when i increase the settings it goes down? That is the strangest thing Ive ever seen! When the cpu is at 100% usage I get screen freezes for a second, from time to time!... also if I try to record gameplay... when i playback the video its stuttering non stop! And the only way to get the cpu usage to drop to like 80-90% usage is to increase the settings in-game - which then makes the game run with a lot less FPS ! Am I forced to play all games with 40 fps or what?

My PC is: i5 4460 , gtx 970 , 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, 120gb ssd, supernova 750w g2 psu, z97 mobo!

Please guys help me... im really worried atm ;/

Thank you !

my cpu stays at 100% usage all the time! And when i increase the settings it goes down?

Is that not normal? You are asking it to do less so the usage will go down? :S

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Is that not normal? You are asking it to do less so the usage will go down? :S

He's saying when he turns the graphical settings on the game UP his CPU usage goes DOWN

CPU usage seems about right though..(clockspeed VS demand) (Closed things in background?)

I'm at 70-95% variable across my cores, and my locked i5 is forced to 3.9Ghz on all cores under load.

But GPU usage is variable slightly (80-100%, usually high 90-96%), (If your chasing maximum details, DON'T, you can drop shadows down to High from PCSS, you don't notice it anyway (unless your staring at the walls instead of playing), and you'll gain 5-10fps on average by dropping those shadows to High)

Settings used and performance I get - i5 4690@3.9Ghz + GTX 970 @ 1400Mhz

Guys,

Thank you !

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Guys, I have a huge problem! I notice in AC Syndicate my cpu stays at 100% usage all the time! And when i increase the settings it goes down? That is the strangest thing Ive ever seen! When the cpu is at 100% usage I get screen freezes for a second, from time to time!... also if I try to record gameplay... when i playback the video its stuttering non stop! And the only way to get the cpu usage to drop to like 80-90% usage is to increase the settings in-game - which then makes the game run with a lot less FPS ! Am I forced to play all games with 40 fps or what?

My PC is: i5 4460 , gtx 970 , 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, 120gb ssd, supernova 750w g2 psu, z97 mobo!

Thank you !

Your CPU usage goes down because you're processing less frames. Is the only thing I can think.

Post your rig please. (oh i'm blind...)

Is it only one game that this is happening on?

CPU usage seems about right though..

I'm at 70-95% variable across my cores, and my locked i5 is forced to 3.9Ghz on all cores under load.

But GPU usage is fine, (If your chasing maximum details, DON'T, you can drop shadows down to High from PCSS, you don't notice it anyway (unless your staring at the walls instead of playing), and you'll gain 5-10fps on average by dropping those shadows to High)

Settings used and performance I get - i5 4690 + GTX 970 @ 1400Mhz

The only way to make the cpu usage to not stay at 100% usage all the time is to put it on this settings! ultra high , high , high , hbao+ , txaa2x ! Anything lower gets to 100% usage ... and i cant record with that .. cuz it stutters the video after i play it back! Ill try to record with shadow play with the same settings as u in that vid! What settings in shadow play do u use? 

Your CPU usage goes down because you're processing less frames. Is the only thing I can think.

Post your rig please. (oh i'm blind...)

Is it only one game that this is happening on?

Well I noticed that cpu thing just now .. 20 mins ago .. so havent tested in another games! But i remember 2 days ago when i was playing crysis 3 .. i was getting better performance with msaa8x AA ... than with FXAA :D I mean i was getting better frames with fxaa .. but i was laggin and stuttering... where msaa8x aa .. no stutter ... STRANGE RIGHT :D Maybe it was that CPU thing ... idk 

The only way to make the cpu usage to not stay at 100% usage all the time is to put it on this settings! ultra high , high , high , hbao+ , txaa2x ! Anything lower gets to 100% usage ... and i cant record with that .. cuz it stutters the video after i play it back! Ill try to record with shadow play with the same settings as u in that vid! What settings in shadow play do u use? 

-ingame res- (When using normal 1080p/1440p resolutions to game with)

60fps @ 50Mbps

When I'm using DSR @ 1step under 4K,has to be 1920x1080p/60fps not -ingame res- set in config. Capturing such a high res takes a few fps more.

Manual recording with a on/off hotkey, not buffering/pre-recording.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

-ingame res- (When using normal 1080p/1440p resolutions to game with)

60fps @ 50Mbps

When I'm using DSR @ 1step under 4K,has to be 1920x1080p/60fps not -ingame res- set in config. Capturing such a high res takes a few fps more.

Manual recording with a on/off hotkey, not buffering/pre-recording.

ill give it a try mate .. ill write in 5 mins .. be here pls senpai :D

ill give it a try mate .. ill write in 5 mins .. be here pls senpai :D

Back in 7 mins :)

Some games suffer more than others when recording, like your starving the game of needed I/O operations (Game creating Memory transaction bottlenecks for other tasks, I dunno), even if game+recording is on diff drives...

Syndicate is definitely one of em that I've noticed.

/Try setting 50Mbps or less if you went over that originally.

@ 4K recording, using 30fps instead of 60fps @ same 50Mbps, reduced my 5fps average frame drop to 1-3fps average dropped.

So did keeping 60fps and using 1920x1080p record while playing in 4K, 5fps dropped down to 1-3fps dropped.

Back in 7 mins :)

Some games suffer more than others when recording, like your starving the game of needed I/O operations (Game creating Memory transaction bottlenecks for other tasks, I dunno), even if game+recording is on diff drives...

Syndicate is definitely one of em that I've noticed.

/Try setting 50Mbps or less if you went over that originally.

@ 4K recording, using 30fps instead of 60fps @ same 50Mbps, reduced my 5fps average frame drop to 1-3fps average dropped.

So did keeping 60fps and using 1920x1080p record while playing in 4K, 5fps dropped down to 1-3fps dropped.

Nope not happening ! Doesnt move from 100% usage with the settings ur using! And that is even when im not recording! When i set it to ultra high - high - high - hbao+ ultra and 2xtxaa instead of fxaa .. then it drops to 90-95% .. but still hits 100% quite a lot! I dont know what to do! ;/ And i game freezes for a second when the cpu stays at 100% for a while! ;////// A guy told me to see if core parking is disabled! If its not .. should i disable it ? will it help?

Nope not happening ! Doesnt move from 100% usage with the settings ur using! And that is even when im not recording! When i set it to ultra high - high - high - hbao+ ultra and 2xtxaa instead of fxaa .. then it drops to 90-95% .. but still hits 100% quite a lot! I dont know what to do! ;/ And i game freezes for a second when the cpu stays at 100% for a while! ;////// A guy told me to see if core parking is disabled! If its not .. should i disable it ? will it help?

CPU's will be unparking themselves under any load anyway, no point.

I knew Syndicate was CPU heavy but didn't think a slightly lower end i5 would suffer this much.

Other games do the same 100% or are they 'seemingly' normal on the CPU?

CPU's will be unparking themselves under any load anyway, no point.

I knew Syndicate was CPU heavy but didn't think a slightly lower end i5 would suffer this much.

Other games do the same 100% or are they 'seemingly' normal on the CPU?

Thats the question ... ill test some games now .. ill write in 10 mins .. 

Thats the question ... ill test some games now .. ill write in 10 mins .. 

Reading around.... many people are having Uber-High CPU load related issues with Syndicate.

If you legit own the game, patch's should hopefully sort out some of the issues over time. (Patch 1.2 gave me some more performance, albiet a tiny bit)

If you downloaded the game for free, it's prob not allowed to be talked about on the forum. (But updates can be downloaded even for ill-gotten games if this is your scenario)

Reading around.... many people are having Uber-High CPU load related issues with Syndicate.

If you legit own the game, patch's should hopefully sort out some of the issues over time. (Patch 1.2 gave me some more performance, albiet a tiny bit)

If you downloaded the game for free, it's prob not allowed to be talked about on the forum. (But updates can be downloaded even for ill-gotten games if this is your scenario)

I have all patches! Also uploading a witcher 3 video atm .. so u can see!

Nahh .. video is taking too long to upload .. but bottom line is .. in witcher 3 with everything maxed out (without hairworks of course  :D) i get around 70-90 cpu usage while recording! So i guess ill try to balance the bottleneck and try to not get constant 100% cpu usage by increasing the settings in games like syndicate! And i guess i wont record videos ... and ill try to get an i7 as soon as i can ;/