H100i GTX power cable / how to connect

Go to solution Solved by The_Sandman,

So I think i found the best solution for this:

- Cooler-Fans go into the H100i GTX's splitter cable

- USB-cable from the pump go to a USB header on the motherboard

- 4-pin power cable from the H100i GTX goes to the CPU_Fan header (as described in the manual)

- Fan-Hub (with all Case-Fans plugged into it) goes to the CHA_Fan4 header on the motherboard. (In the motherboard manual on page 25 it says that the CHA_Fan headers support PWM)

Can anyone tell me if this will work?

Edit:

Figured it out myself, it worked fine for me the way i mentioned above. So problem solved :)

Hey guys :)

I'm finally building my PC as my parts arrived two days ago. I have a question about the connection of the H100i GTX CPU cooler. In the manual it says i should connect the fans to the splitter from the H100i and then connect this cable (i assume it is the power cable) into the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard.

My question is now if i can connect the power cable into the Fan-Hub that comes integrated in the back of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, since i should connect this Fan-Controller to the CPU_Fan header to be able to controll all my fans. I also would then connect the Fans from the H100i to the Phanteks Fan-Hub or should i connect them first to the H100i GTX and then the Cable from the H100i into the Fan-Hub?

Thx for your help!

Edit: (i added some more details from a post below)

The H100i comes with 3 cables:

1. The connection for the fans (a 4pin and a 3pin connector)

2. A 4 pin connector for the power

3. A usb cable that goes into the pump and to a usb header on the motherboard. (I think the pump and the fans are both controlled through this usb connection)

How should i connect the fans and the power cable if i already have plugged in the Fan-Hub from my case into the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard? I also heard that sometimes the pump draws more power than it should when you start up the computer and it could damage your motherboard, so some people say you should connect the 4pin connector directly to your PSU with a molex adapter. I'm a little confused now and i don't want to damage something. I hope you guys can help me  :)

CPU: i5 6600K | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming (6GB) | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (1TB) | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (1000W) | Display(s): 27'' Asus PG279Q | Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M800 | Mouse: Steelseries Rival | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | OS: Windows 10 | PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WwL7zy

I would connect it to the cpu_fan cause then your mobo can control the cooler as the cpu gets hotter.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

I do not believe the H100i uses a variable speed pump and therefore connecting it to a fan controller is a bad idea.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I would recommend plugging the fans into the splitter cable going to the pump and the cpu wire into the cpu header, through the corsair link software you can control the pump speed and fan curves to your desires. Be sure to plug the pump into a sata power supply cable also. Have fun and enjoy the low cpu temps!

I would connect it to the cpu_fan cause then your mobo can control the cooler as the cpu gets hotter.

I do not believe the H100i uses a variable speed pump and therefore connecting it to a fan controller is a bad idea.

I would recommend plugging the fans into the splitter cable going to the pump and the cpu wire into the cpu header, through the corsair link software you can control the pump speed and fan curves to your desires. Be sure to plug the pump into a sata power supply cable also. Have fun and enjoy the low cpu temps!

Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry i think i made a little mistake while explaining my problem. I said "Fan-Controller" instead of "Fan-Hub" (I edited my original post).

The H100i comes with 3 cables:

1. The connection for the fans (a 4pin and a 3pin connector)

2. A 4 pin connector for the power

3. A usb cable that goes into the pump and to a usb header on the motherboard. (I think the pump and the fans are both controlled through this usb connection)

How should i connect the fans and the power cable if i already have plugged in the Fan-Hub from my case into the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard? I also heard that sometimes the pump draws more power than it should when you start up the computer and it could damage your motherboard, so some people say you should connect the 4pin connector directly to your PSU with a molex adapter. I'm a little confused now and i don't want to damage something. I hope you guys can help me :)

CPU: i5 6600K | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming (6GB) | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (1TB) | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (1000W) | Display(s): 27'' Asus PG279Q | Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M800 | Mouse: Steelseries Rival | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | OS: Windows 10 | PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WwL7zy

​hmm, I would say that the case's fan hub should not be plugged into the cpu header, but if the case has a variable speed controller that it should be plugged directly into the psu as to not overdraw any of the motherboard fan headers.

I would recommend that if your using a newer motherboard with onboard fan speed controls based off system temperatures then it would be better to use that than a fan hub.

As far as the pump overdrawing, I believe that my h100i gtx has a separate power cable that plugs into a sata power connector to pull its power from so overdrawing the cpu fan header should not be an issue since it does not get its primary power from there.

​hmm, I would say that the case's fan hub should not be plugged into the cpu header, but if the case has a variable speed controller that it should be plugged directly into the psu as to not overdraw any of the motherboard fan headers.

I would recommend that if your using a newer motherboard with onboard fan speed controls based off system temperatures then it would be better to use that than a fan hub.

As far as the pump overdrawing, I believe that my h100i gtx has a separate power cable that plugs into a sata power connector to pull its power from so overdrawing the cpu fan header should not be an issue since it does not get its primary power from there.

My H100i GTX unfortunately doesn't have a separate sata power cable just the 4pin connector for the power.

The Fan-Hub from my Phanteks case comes with a sata power cable that is connected to the PSU so it doesn't need power from the motherboard. I think the best solution would be to connect the fans of the H100i to the connection of the pump and the 4-Pin-Power-Cable of the pump into the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard (the way it's described in the manual).

My only question left is then: Where do I connect the 4-Pin-Cable of the Fan-Hub where i have plugged in all the Case Fans? I Have a ASUS Z170-A Motherboard and there is a CPU_Opt and some CHA_Fan(1-4), which all are 4-Pin-headers. So in which one should i plug my Fan-Hub with the case-fans into that i'm able to controll the Fans (it's a PWM-Fan-Hub)?

Edit:

This is the Motherboard manual. On page 25 you can see all the different Fan-Headers.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-A/E10611_Z170-A_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

So I think i found the best solution for this:

- Cooler-Fans go into the H100i GTX's splitter cable

- USB-cable from the pump go to a USB header on the motherboard

- 4-pin power cable from the H100i GTX goes to the CPU_Fan header (as described in the manual)

- Fan-Hub (with all Case-Fans plugged into it) goes to the CHA_Fan4 header on the motherboard. (In the motherboard manual on page 25 it says that the CHA_Fan headers support PWM)

Can anyone tell me if this will work?

Edit:

Figured it out myself, it worked fine for me the way i mentioned above. So problem solved :)