Will This GPU Work With This System?

Nick_

Correct that WONT work.

460 watts is pushing it for a card like that IMO.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Well at first glance I can imagine air flow, power consumption and physical space possibly being an issue.  The PCIe port should be fine though

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It should work, but companies like Dell and HP generally use custom designed motherboards which are not necessarily standards compliant. They are not designed to be upgraded like this, so it is not surprising your friend is having problems.

post-233981-0-28143800-1449958692_thumb.

NOT MUCH ROOM FOR INTERNAL UPGRADES

Also, does the PSU in that thing have the necessary connectors or wattage to power it?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

It should work, but companies like Dell and HP generally use custom designed motherboards which are not necessarily standards compliant. They are not designed to be upgraded like this, so it is not surprising your friend is having problems.

so, would you recommend him to buy a different MOBO?

Room is not the issue here, he boots his PC and his monitor will be blank. I am thinking its a power issue but I am honestly lost as he just seems to buy things without much forethought.

no, I'd recommend a different computer.  not much chance upgrading just the mobo, and not worth it either in that case

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Whole new build tbh, i7 with 380 is pushing it on 460W not to mention it's likely a bad PSU that's likely to not deliver full targeted wattage and he doesn't even know if the case has a long enough clearance for it unless he's willing to measure it

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

It's probably power related but 460 watts should be fine but it'll be a shite 460 watts

Room is not the issue here, he boots his PC and his monitor will be blank. I am thinking its a power issue but I am honestly lost as he just seems to buy things without much forethought.

If the monitor is actually plugged into the GPU and not the mobo, then I would agree it is probably a power issue.

I would not give up yet. What exactly is the problem?

My first PC was a dell office PC, and I did get a discrete GPU running in that. (Radeon 9250 PCI edition, 128MB RAM. My first foray into customising PC hardware. :) )

Its probably that it cant power the thing, alao he has to remove the radeon hd graphics card already installed in his system

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case