Question about zfs and the dell perc h310

archip

Hi, so I was wondering if the dell perc H310 is compatible with the Poweredge R710? And I was also wondering, could I flash the H310 to IT mode in order to run a zfs array safely? Thanks.

Physically, yes. But you need to make sure drivers are available for the OS that you plan on using.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Physically, yes. But you need to make sure drivers are available for the OS that you plan on using.

I did a check on dells website and while I could find the product, under its drivers and downloads tab there were no drives. would you happen to know where I could find drivers? also I plan on running ubuntu server.

I did a check on dells website and while I could find the product, under its drivers and downloads tab there were no drives. would you happen to know where I could find drivers? also I plan on running ubuntu server.

I found this: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R743M

It's a Linux driver.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Thanks and just to clarify, by physically, yes, do you know for certain that H310 could be flashed to IT mode and still run a zfs array with its full feature set? Thanks.

No idea.

Thanks and just to clarify, by physically, yes, do you know for certain that H310 could be flashed to IT mode and still run a zfs array with its full feature set? Thanks.

Is your question if this controller can be flashed to IT mode at all, or if

ZFS will work with it flashed to IT mode? The first one I can't answer as I'm

not familiar with the controller, but if that works and you have a driver for

Linux, then I don't see any obvious reasons why ZFS would refuse to work

with it. As long as your system sees the HDDs, ZFS should work, and it prefers

to work with physical devices (IT mode) instead of virtual ones (IR mode).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Is your question if this controller can be flashed to IT mode at all, or if

ZFS will work with it flashed to IT mode? The first one I can't answer as I'm

not familiar with the controller, but if that works and you have a driver for

Linux, then I don't see any obvious reasons why ZFS would refuse to work

with it. As long as your system sees the HDDs, ZFS should work, and it prefers

to work with physical devices (IT mode) instead of virtual ones (IR mode).

I was mostly wondering that if I flash it to IT mode, would zfs work the way it should? Thanks

I was mostly wondering that if I flash it to IT mode, would zfs work the way it should? Thanks

Yes any LSI based card can be flashed to the firmware of the equivalent LSI HBA card. You just have to make sure you are using the correct firmware. I have flashed my IBM M1115 to IT firmware which is based off the same LSI chipset as the Dell H310, LSI SAS 2008.

The only issue you will find is compatibility between the server bios/firmware and the RAID/HBA cards if you need to run multiple of them like I do. In my IBM x3500 M4 it would not boot with an LSI 9361-8i and the IBM M1115-IT, I had to use the IBM firmware on the M1115 to use both cards. Fortunately the IBM firmware supports high queue depth and proper JBOD anyway unlike the Dell H310. Running multiple cards in IT mode 'shouldn't' be an issue, even if they were originally different brands/manufacturer.

The reality is most Dell perc controllers are some variation of LSI adapters.  In the case of the perc H310 it should be the equivalent of the LSI SAS 2008 (B2).  If you can flash the card from the dell perc back to the LSI you might have a greater chance at support under various versions of linux.  I had done the same years ago for my dell perc 6. 

Here is a reference to flashing the Dell Perc H310 to IT mode which basically converts it to the LSI.  I have not tried this so please read through it carefully.

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB