Caching a storage harddrive?

chos5555

Could you copy in the commands you used to created the pools etc? You don't actually need to set the write-back cache size larger than the default 1GB if auto tiering is enabled. There is a parameter you can specify when creating the pool/virtual disk to set the size of it.

Here is a slightly modified example from the Microsoft documentation, original uses mirror but you only have 1 ssd.

I actually don't remember exactly, cause I was searching online and was trying everything I found :D, fortunately I backed up my files :D, brief overview: I created a pool in Storage Spaces through control panel, which included simple resiliency and I included the RAID 1 4TB array and the SSD, I actually don't know if I setup a Virtual Disk afterwards in powershell, that would probably be the problem right? :D

EDIT: I tried to delete the old pool and created a new one, and tried the command you posted, Get-StoragePool "4TB" | New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "4TB Cached Storage" -ResiliencySettingName "Simple" –StorageTiers $SSD, $HDD -StorageTierSizes 110GB, 3.63TB, and yes, I have the pool named 4TB, so that should be fine and it says:

New-VirtualDisk : Failed to run CIM method CreateVirtualDisk on the MSFT_StoragePool (ObjectId = "{1}\\DESKTOP-U6R94VR\

root/Microsoft/Win...) CIM object.  Pole CIM nesmí obsahovat elementy, které jsou null.
Název parametru: value
At line:1 char:25
+ ... ool "4TB" | New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "4TB Cached Storage" -Resil ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_StoragePoo...crosoft/Win...):CimInstance) [New-VirtualDisk], CimJobE
   xception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CimJob_ArgumentException,New-VirtualDisk

Any ideas? :(

I actually don't remember exactly, cause I was searching online and was trying everything I found :D, fortunately I backed up my files :D, brief overview: I created a pool in Storage Spaces through control panel, which included simple resiliency and I included the RAID 1 4TB array and the SSD, I actually don't know if I setup a Virtual Disk afterwards in powershell, that would probably be the problem right? :D

EDIT: I tried to delete the old pool and created a new one, and tried the command you posted, Get-StoragePool "4TB" | New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "4TB Cached Storage" -ResiliencySettingName "Simple" –StorageTiers $SSD, $HDD -StorageTierSizes 110GB, 3.63TB, and yes, I have the pool named 4TB, so that should be fine and it says:

New-VirtualDisk : Failed to run CIM method CreateVirtualDisk on the MSFT_StoragePool (ObjectId = "{1}\\DESKTOP-U6R94VR\

root/Microsoft/Win...) CIM object.  Pole CIM nesmí obsahovat elementy, které jsou null.
Název parametru: value
At line:1 char:25
+ ... ool "4TB" | New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "4TB Cached Storage" -Resil ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (MSFT_StoragePoo...crosoft/Win...):CimInstance) [New-VirtualDisk], CimJobE
   xception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CimJob_ArgumentException,New-VirtualDisk

Any ideas? :(

Check that $SSD and $HDD have values by just typing those in the powershell window and press enter. You can just replace $SSD etc with the actual values.

You can find the names required by using the command 'Get-StorageTier -FriendlyName *SSD*" or HDD and get the friendly name for the command that is failing for you.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-StorageTier -FriendlyName *SSD*

ObjectId             : {1}\\HMN-FILE1\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_StorageTier.ObjectId="{8b1b9d2
                       b-4091-11e5-80bc-806e6f6e6963}:ST:{745d2afe-9e64-11e5-80d9-005056a1b156}{745d2b4a-9e64-11e5-80d9
                       -005056a1b156}"
PassThroughClass     :
PassThroughIds       :
PassThroughNamespace :
PassThroughServer    :
UniqueId             : {745d2b4a-9e64-11e5-80d9-005056a1b156}
Description          :
FriendlyName         : Microsoft_SSD_Template
MediaType            : SSD
Size                 : 0
PSComputerName       :

ObjectId             : {1}\\HMN-FILE1\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_StorageTier.ObjectId="{8b1b9d2
                       b-4091-11e5-80bc-806e6f6e6963}:ST:{745d2afe-9e64-11e5-80d9-005056a1b156}{745d2b5c-9e64-11e5-80d9
                       -005056a1b156}"
PassThroughClass     :
PassThroughIds       :
PassThroughNamespace :
PassThroughServer    :
UniqueId             : {745d2b5c-9e64-11e5-80d9-005056a1b156}
Description          :
FriendlyName         : HMN-SAN01_Data01_Microsoft_SSD_Template
MediaType            : SSD
Size                 : 1530082099200
PSComputerName       :

My output is likely going to be different to yours since I have a virtual disk already created.

Check that $SSD and $HDD have values by just typing those in the powershell window and press enter. You can just replace $SSD etc with the actual values.

You can find the names required by using the command 'Get-StorageTier -FriendlyName *SSD*" or HDD and get the friendly name for the command that is failing for you.

My output is likely going to be different to yours since I have a virtual disk already created.

Ummm, When I try to type $SSD, $HDD or Get-StorageTier -FriendlyName *SSD* I get nothing in return, I think I should get at least something, right?

Ummm, When I try to type $SSD, $HDD or Get-StorageTier -FriendlyName *SSD* I get nothing in return, I think I should get at least something, right?

Ok apologies for giving you the run around. So I checked with my friend who has done this using standard Windows 8.1 desktop OS and he did get it working, but not with storage tiers. He either used the write back cache setting or 'Journal' disks, doesn't remember which and he's not using it anymore.

For me I was testing all the powershell commands on Server 2012 R2 so it was working fine. Even though the powershell commands are in Windows 10 they don't actually allow you to create storage tiers.

PS C:\Windows\system32> New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage Pool" -FriendlyName "Standard_SSD_Tier" -MediaType SSD

New-StorageTier : Not Supported
Activity ID: {49990fe9-7f0f-47cc-86d2-836e19f93237}
At line:1 char:1
+ New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "Storage Pool" -FriendlyName ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_StoragePool) [New-StorageTier], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 1,New-StorageTier

Again sorry for making you waste so much time on this, at least I hope you learnt something about powershell :P

Ok apologies for giving you the run around. So I checked with my friend who has done this using standard Windows 8.1 desktop OS and he did get it working, but not with storage tiers. He either used the write back cache setting or 'Journal' disks, doesn't remember which and he's not using it anymore.

For me I was testing all the powershell commands on Server 2012 R2 so it was working fine. Even though the powershell commands are in Windows 10 they don't actually allow you to create storage tiers.

Again sorry for making you waste so much time on this, at least I hope you learnt something about powershell :P

So I can't do it? :(

So I can't do it? :(

If you are willing to pay money for the program, primocache is a pretty good caching software. I don't use it to cache hard drives, but do use it as an 16 GB ram cache for my main ssd array.

It does however have good functionality for using an ssd for cache and it's very easy to use.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

If you are willing to pay money for the program, primocache is a pretty good caching software. I don't use it to cache hard drives, but do use it as an 16 GB ram cache for my main ssd array.

It does however have good functionality for using an ssd for cache and it's very easy to use.

Thanks, I will look into that :)

Primocache worked for me, I will see how good the performance boosts will be and I will decide if I want to pay for the program, right now I have the free trial.

Thanks to als of you for helping me!!