GPU not drawing any power

Harry Livesley

So i booted up my pc like normal and ran my heavily modified version of skyrim as normal, i loaded my save and upon loading it just blackscreened, at first i thought it was a mod glitch or game glitch, but i checked afterburner to find out my gpu was drawing 0% power, and thus wasnt "on" to render the game, every couple of minutes it would boot up to 100% power and the game would load a bit, but it would drop back to 0 after a few seconds, help?

So i booted up my pc like normal and ran my heavily modified version of skyrim as normal, i loaded my save and upon loading it just blackscreened, at first i thought it was a mod glitch or game glitch, but i checked afterburner to find out my gpu was drawing 0% power, and thus wasnt "on" to render the game, every couple of minutes it would boot up to 100% power and the game would load a bit, but it would drop back to 0 after a few seconds, help?

Try reinstalling Nvida/AMD  drivers to see if the issue has been fixed.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Try reinstalling Nvida/AMD  drivers to see if the issue has been fixed.

will do, its a 970HOF edition if that helps.

will do, its a 970HOF edition if that helps.

Then reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Hopefully this works for you!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Simple solutions hehe. Worked, cheers mate.

Great! That's what I like to hear.

Shame, it's almost as if it was having driver problems. *Cough*notonlyamd*Cough* On a serious note: 

http://www.thefedoranerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/img_001.jpg

yeah i have, i tested some other games to see if it carries over, fallout 4 straight up crashes on loading a save, and skyrim is doing the same thing as before.

yeah i have, i tested some other games to see if it carries over, fallout 4 straight up crashes on loading a save, and skyrim is doing the same thing as before.

When exactly did it start happening? Did you update or change anything?

When exactly did it start happening? Did you update or change anything?

it started just under a week ago. I had done nothing to my computer or my game, i had been running my modded skyrim save for about a week, i booted it up one time and the problem started, i think the 0% is actually gpu usage rather than power draw, yeah, thats it. The gpu stays on 0% usage. anyway. i turned it on and off and restarted drivers, and that fixed the problem, however every day since then when i loaded it would start blackscreen and on 0% and i had to wait a min before it went to 99% usage and "turned on" the game. Got on today to find that it isnt working.

it started just under a week ago. I had done nothing to my computer or my game, i had been running my modded skyrim save for about a week, i booted it up one time and the problem started, i think the 0% is actually gpu usage rather than power draw, yeah, thats it. The gpu stays on 0% usage. anyway. i turned it on and off and restarted drivers, and that fixed the problem, however every day since then when i loaded it would start blackscreen and on 0% and i had to wait a min before it went to 99% usage and "turned on" the game. Got on today to find that it isnt working.

No driver updates or new downloads of any kind?

i did absolutely nothing before the problem started, i may have uninstalled a graphics mod for skyrim but thats about it. i updated the driver after the problem started and that seemed to fix it, but only for a few days.

reinstalled my drivers with a clean install.. should fix it for a few days, but i want to know what the problem is and how i stop it permanently. 

so it works after the re install, but i need a permanent solution.

Right, its done it again, seems every time i restart the computer it does this. I need a solution asap, or at least to find out what the actual problem is. also, when i got it working, i played skyrim, the usage then dropped to 0 and it did this... http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/392175069437138453/D88CB3ED2767E8201DD2561FF005AD3CF547619A/

Is your PSU powerful enough? Please list your full system specs. Looks like it's not getting the required power. Make sure it's an 80+ certified 500W or more of a decent brand and that all required power connectors are properly connected to the card.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Right, its done it again, seems every time i restart the computer it does this. I need a solution asap, or at least to find out what the actual problem is. also, when i got it working, i played skyrim, the usage then dropped to 0 and it did this... http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/392175069437138453/D88CB3ED2767E8201DD2561FF005AD3CF547619A/

What are the temps like on the card. Those pixelations dont look good at all. I am wondering if your card has a heat issue.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Is your PSU powerful enough? Please list your full system specs. Looks like it's not getting the required power. Make sure it's an 80+ certified 500W or more of a decent brand and that all required power connectors are properly connected to the card.

ive deduced that it isnt the power, its the graphics card not turning on, its at 0% usage yet it still drawing 41% power from the psu, which is an 80+ bronze 750w corsair psu. 

What are the temps like on the card. Those pixelations dont look good at all. I am wondering if your card has a heat issue.

never exceeds 50 degrees, definitely not a heat issue. 

Also, i stated before that it starts doing this when i restart, i closed my game and reopened it due to a crash and it has done it (the no usage) without me restarting. 

ive deduced that it isnt the power, its the graphics card not turning on, its at 0% usage yet it still drawing 41% power from the psu, which is an 80+ bronze 750w corsair psu. 

never exceeds 50 degrees, definitely not a heat issue. 

Also, i stated before that it starts doing this when i restart, i closed my game and reopened it due to a crash and it has done it (the no usage) without me restarting. 

Are you able to try a different card in your PC?  If you can, we can see if its related to this particular card or is perhaps something with reghards the MB. If it happens with a different card, then the issue has to be with the MB, if it doesn't, then something happened with your card during the crash.

Its a pain to work through all the permutations, but its really the only way to find out where the problem lies.

Nothing has touched the PCB of the card by any chance?? (this happened to me and messed up my card enough to bin it ....)

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Are you able to try a different card in your PC?  If you can, we can see if its related to this particular card or is perhaps something with reghards the MB. If it happens with a different card, then the issue has to be with the MB, if it doesn't, then something happened with your card during the crash.

Its a pain to work through all the permutations, but its really the only way to find out where the problem lies.

Nothing has touched the PCB of the card by any chance?? (this happened to me and messed up my card enough to bin it ....)

it has a metal backplate so nothing but dust should have touched it, i do not own another card to test, it does seem to be a driver issue, i tabbed out during one of the 0% black screen moments to find that the driver had crashed, and reinstalling the drivers fixes it, albeit temporarily.

it has a metal backplate so nothing but dust should have touched it, i do not own another card to test, it does seem to be a driver issue, i tabbed out during one of the 0% black screen moments to find that the driver had crashed, and reinstalling the drivers fixes it, albeit temporarily.

every card should some with a back plate, that rules out PCB damage.

Your issue is a bloody odd one. A game shouldnt have caused the issues that you are having unless there was an issue somewhere in the cards hardware.

Have a look at this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/355932/artifacting-pixelation-solutions-for-any-card-add-what-worked-for-you-any-video-card/

It could help  although I am feeling an RMA on the card could be on the books 

Maybe it isn't the GPU which is overheating but maybe the VRMs overheat. Try clocking the GPU down a bit and see if the Problem consists.