$20 Hard Drive

Starelementpoke

Looking to buy a 1TB sata 3 working hard drive for $20, no more than $30. Anyone know where I can buy one? Or does anyone have one they can sell?

well, it may be worth asking some local shops if they have refurb drives.

i picked up a 500GB refurb drive (professionally wiped, and a good smart status) for like..€7 before.

Looking to buy a 1TB sata 3 working hard drive for $20, no more than $30. Anyone know where I can buy one? Or does anyone have one they can sell?

You can definitely find them on NewEgg and stuff but they're basically all trash. Depends if you can afford a hard drive failure.

well, it may be worth asking some local shops if they have refurb drives.

i picked up a 500GB refurb drive (professionally wiped, and a good smart status) for like..€7 before.

I don't have any local shops. If I did I'd forgot all about homework and just stand there for like 5 hours until I had to sleep.

I don't have any local shops. If I did I'd forgot all about homework and just stand there for like 5 hours until I had to sleep.

eh, maybe you just dont know about local shops.

i'm sure at least someone in sinnoh is enough of a techy to have a small shop.

i have 3 in my area, one of them is for buisinesses only (off limits for average joe), one of them is in a sideroad of an alley in a sideroad of an alley, and one is what used to be the video store.

eh, maybe you just dont know about local shops.

i'm sure at least someone in sinnoh is enough of a techy to have a small shop.

i have 3 in my area, one of them is for buisinesses only (off limits for average joe), one of them is in a sideroad of an alley in a sideroad of an alley, and one is what used to be the video store.

Edit: Nope, all of them are repair shops. Doesn't say if they carry parts or not.

Thanks to google maps, it looks like there's a few. Most are office supply stores though. Funny enough the Staples has a 2.4 star rating.

well, the places to get refurb drives are shops that deal with repairs. you'd be surprised how many hard drive upgrades they have to do (resulting in a lot of cheapo refurb low capacity drives)

well, the places to get refurb drives are shops that deal with repairs. you'd be surprised how many hard drive upgrades they have to do (resulting in a lot of cheapo refurb low capacity drives)

Hmm, okay then, I'll see if they have any then.

~snip~

Hey there Starelementpoke,

If you are getting a second-hand drive I would strongly suggest checking its S.M.A.R.T. status first. the raw values should give you a pretty good idea of the drive's condition. In order to verify that the particular S.M.A.R.T. belongs to the particular drive, make sure the serial number is the same both on the drive and on the S.M.A.R.T. :) You are not likely to find a new drive for that price.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Starelementpoke,

If you are getting a second-hand drive I would strongly suggest checking its S.M.A.R.T. status first. the raw values should give you a pretty good idea of the drive's condition. In order to verify that the particular S.M.A.R.T. belongs to the particular drive, make sure the serial number is the same both on the drive and on the S.M.A.R.T. :) You are not likely to find a new drive for that price.

Captain_WD.

Much thanks for the advice captain.

Much thanks for the advice captain.

You are most welcome! :)

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

You are most welcome! :)

Quick question, what S.M.A.R.T status would show the drive is in a decent condition?

Quick question, what S.M.A.R.T status would show the drive is in a decent condition?

Could you  post the SMART data results here?

Other than that, usually the main ones are Read Error rate, reallocated sectors, and uncorrectable sector count, but the others can be a sign as well. Another test is to run the extended test using the manufacturer's drive.

~snip~

Well you have to actually see the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and see what they indicate and always have in mind the age, usage and type of the drive. One value can be completely normal for an old drive while critical for a rather new and unused one. 
As @scottyseng suggested, get the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status and paste them here :) we will give you a detailed answer to what is what.
I find this article particularly good in explaining which attribute stands for what: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Captain_WD.