Need some Maths help [SOLVED]

Nineshadow

Demonstrate that z is a real number if

1XvJiGX.png, where n is natural

So, I tried it a few different ways :

Firstly , a complex number is real implies that it is equal to its conjugate. I tried doing that but it didn't really get me anywhere useful, or I don't know what else I could do with it.

eqn7321.png

Then I tried solving it using the trigonometric form of the complex number and ended up to :

6Or49mN.png

Yeah, can't really do anything else there, I think.

Any other ideas guys? I also tried induction but that didn't help either.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'd love to help and I understand what your problem is, but sadly I can't do this in english

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Have you tried running it through Wolfram Alpha?

Where do you think I have the pictures/screenshots from?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Where do you think I have the pictures/screenshots from?

Idk, maybe from you homework :P

Chill bro, just trying to lend a hand

Idk, maybe from you homework :P

Chill bro, just trying to lend a hand

That was a joke D:

Nobody?

You're actually almost done with that trig expression you have.

You may be aware of the identity: nyqoieH.png.

If not, you can certainly prove it yourself.

Just multiply through by 4n, then you can show (with the sum/difference identities for sine and cosine):

kvaRqc5.png, and

tFUn4K5.png,

which completes your proof.

e: Oops, forgot to put "4n" in the last 2 equations.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

You're actually almost done with that trig expression you have.

You may be aware of the identity: nyqoieH.png.

If not, you can certainly prove it yourself.

Just multiply through by 4n, then you can show (with the sum/difference identities for sine and cosine):

kvaRqc5.png, and

tFUn4K5.png,

which completes your proof.

e: Oops, forgot to put "4n" in the last 2 equations.

Thanks. Didn't know that one. We haven't studied inverse trigonometric functions too much. Right now, we just know what they do.

Thanks. Didn't know that one. We haven't studied inverse trigonometric functions too much. Right now, we just know what they do.

Hm that's interesting. I can't think of a way to get around using it in that solution. But I'll let you know if I do! (Honestly I wasn't previously aware of the identity either, but I discovered it while working out this problem.)

But actually, if you can follow @dbcooper's solution, it's much more elegant and straightforward.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

Hm that's interesting. I can't think of a way to get around using it in that solution. But I'll let you know if I do! (Honestly I wasn't previously aware of the identity either, but I discovered it while working out this problem.)

But actually, if you can follow @dbcooper's solution, it's much more elegant and straightforward.

Well, I also discovered something new from his solution as well.

That the trigonometric form of a complex number is equal to e^(i*theta), multiplied by the abs of that number.

:P

Might be very useful actually.

But it still uses the arctan identity. D:

Well, I also discovered something new from his solution as well.

That the trigonometric form of a complex number is equal to e^(i*theta), multiplied by the abs of that number.

:P

Might be very useful actually.

Yeah awesome! That's known as Euler's Identity, and it's one of the most important and useful formulas. It's absolutely indispensable for a lot of theorems if you keep studying math or physics :)

Yeah awesome! That's known as Euler's Identity, and it's one of the most important and useful formulas. It's absolutely indispensable for a lot of theorems if you keep studying math or physics :)

We've just started complex numbers (kinda) , and the only place where we've met Euler's number before was in natural logarithms , but we didn't really use it.

@kingkickolas @dbcooper

I've actually managed to do it way easier .

Let's do this :

qozauPg.png

So :

t257MBO.png

But is i4n equal to 1 , so

oA2V3l3.png

Z is real if it is equal to its conjugate.

GJVTXgI.png