Raid

Rychill
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Hey there Rychill :)

Here are my two cents on the topic:
You don't have to put multiple drives in a RAID array in order to operate with all of them. All you have to do is power down your system, connect the second SSD to the SATA port and with the SATA power cable, power the system back on, go to Disk Management, Initialize the drive, partition and format it, assign a letter to it and you will have it up and running. :)

The two types of RAID available when you have two drives are striped and mirrored ones. Striped RAID (or RAID0) offers a good amount of speed boost to the sequential read/write speeds but little to none to the random read/write speeds and you are not likely to see any significant changes in your overall computer performance. This type offers no redundancy whatsoever so I wouldn't go with it. The Mirrored RAID (or RAID1) offers redundancy but this must not be considered a backup at all, as @EmeraldFlame clearly pointed out. 

I would simply use the SSDs as standalone drives since they are already fast enough and consider upgrading to larger capacities down the road. :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions! 

Captain_WD.

If i have more than one ssd in my build do i have to put them in some sort of raid config

No. You can have two ssds not in raid.

No. You can have two ssds not in raid.

If i dont want to put then in "0" which would be the next best for preformance/speed

If i dont want to put then in "0" which would be the next best for preformance/speed

As far as I know with two ssds you have two options:

Raid 0: which is data striped across both, double speed, half the reliability

Raid 1: Back up of one drive on another.

Unless you add more those are the only one you can do.

Raid 1: Back up of one drive on another.

Unless you add more those are the only one you can do.

Thanks

Raid 1: Back up REDUNDANCY of one drive on another.

RAID is not back-up. It is redundancy. If you accidentally delete a file, or it become corrupted, etc, it affects both copies of the data. 

~snip~

Hey there Rychill :)

Here are my two cents on the topic:
You don't have to put multiple drives in a RAID array in order to operate with all of them. All you have to do is power down your system, connect the second SSD to the SATA port and with the SATA power cable, power the system back on, go to Disk Management, Initialize the drive, partition and format it, assign a letter to it and you will have it up and running. :)

The two types of RAID available when you have two drives are striped and mirrored ones. Striped RAID (or RAID0) offers a good amount of speed boost to the sequential read/write speeds but little to none to the random read/write speeds and you are not likely to see any significant changes in your overall computer performance. This type offers no redundancy whatsoever so I wouldn't go with it. The Mirrored RAID (or RAID1) offers redundancy but this must not be considered a backup at all, as @EmeraldFlame clearly pointed out. 

I would simply use the SSDs as standalone drives since they are already fast enough and consider upgrading to larger capacities down the road. :)

Feel free to ask if you happen to have questions! 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/