Adding A Dedicated Gaming Drive

Lazz45
Go to solution Solved by YoloSwag,

....or!!!!

you can move the entire SteamApps folder instead so that you'll end up keeping the main program on your system drive.

I have mine setup that way.

What you do is - in the program main window, click the "Steam" drop down menu from the top left corner then click "Settings"

Now, go to the "Downloads" then in that menu, click "STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS" from the menu that pops up you can set in which drive you have your games installed on.

Once, it is setup, copy your entire SteamApps folder from your its previous location and paste it in that new folder you've setup. Restart Steam. That's it.

Hello everyone,

Alright, so my question is:

I have purchased a 1TB hard drive on black friday, and I inted to use this as my drive for only my steam games.  I currently have a samsung 840 pro SSD for my OS, and a 1TB seagate baracudda for everything else.  I only have 200 gb left on that drive so I will use a dedicated steam drive. Now, is it best to just grab the steam folder and drag it onto the fresh drive, or unistall all my games then reinstall on the new drive

Thank you ahead of time! i will follow the topic for replies

Lazz45

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

Hello everyone,

I have purchased a 1TB hard drive on black friday, and I inted to use this as my drive for only my steam games.  I currently have a samsung 840 pro SSD for my OS, and a 1TB seagate baracudda for everything else.  I only have 200 gb left on that drive so I will use a dedicated steam drive. Now, is it best to just grab the steam folder and drag it onto the fresh drive, or unistall all my games then reinstall on the new drive

Lazz45

drag and drop the folder and go to steam settings and add the folder on the new hard drive to the list of folders to look for games :)

drag and drop the folder and go to steam settings and add the folder on the new hard drive to the list of folders to look for games :)

So just click and drag one night before i sleep and let that transfer over night?

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

Hello everyone,

Lazz45

Go into Steam Settings and add a Steam directory to the new drive, then you should be able to simply cut+paste the Steam folder from the existing drive over to the new drive and Steam should automatically recognize the new game locations and adjust accordingly.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

....or!!!!

you can move the entire SteamApps folder instead so that you'll end up keeping the main program on your system drive.

What you do is - in the program main window, click the "Steam" drop down menu from the top left corner then click "Settings"

Now, go to the "Downloads" then in that menu, click "STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS" from the menu that pops up you can set in which drive you have your games installed on.

Once, it is setup, copy your entire SteamApps folder from your its previous location and paste it in that new folder you've setup. Restart Steam. That's it.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

....or!!!!

that's what i did :)

~snip~

Hey there Lazz45,

@YoloSwag gave you some excellent advice so I'd try that. The rest of the guys also gave good suggestions. It's up to you to decide if you'd like to keep your main app on the system drive or move that too.
One small note from me: Since you will be moving quite large amounts of data I would try to do that with a application instead of a simple copy/paste tool. A copying application can recover from an error and restart the whole process while the copy/paste function can easily miss something or fail while you are not on the computer. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Lazz45,

@YoloSwag gave you some excellent advice so I'd try that. The rest of the guys also gave good suggestions. It's up to you to decide if you'd like to keep your main app on the system drive or move that too.
One small note from me: Since you will be moving quite large amounts of data I would try to do that with a application instead of a simple copy/paste tool. A copying application can recover from an error and restart the whole process while the copy/paste function can easily miss something or fail while you are not on the computer. :)

Captain_WD.

What copying applications do you recommend?

•  

~snip~

As a Western Digital representative I can't really recommend other tools so you should look for one on the internet or see if anyone here recommends one. I'm sure if you go quickly over some reviews and comments you can find a good one. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/