Need help with EC fan problem (Broken GPU)

Whitecrystall

My graphics card in my laptop (MSI gt70 0ND) is broken and unfixable (Crashes with BSOD TDR Failure nvlddmkm.sys) but that's not the problem.

I have inactivated the graphics card and now using Intel HD graphics 4000 however it has got worse.

The broken graphics card is now crashing even when its inactivated causing the fan speed to go to 100% at idle 10 seconds after boot.

Is there a way i can make the embedded controller to ignore the graphics card? Or just fix the fan problem some other way?

Is the laptop still under warranty? If it is just send it back to MSI. Warranties in the EU are 2 years mandatory for technology items if I recall correctly, and it's 1 in the US I think, so try to get them to fix it. Otherwise I would recommend removing the GPU, but that may be impossible given it's a laptop.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Is the laptop still under warranty? If it is just send it back to MSI. Warranties in the EU are 2 years mandatory for technology items if I recall correctly, and it's 1 in the US I think, so try to get them to fix it. Otherwise I would recommend removing the GPU, but that may be impossible given it's a laptop.

The warrenty ran out 2 weeks before this happend and it still happens with the gpu removed

The warrenty ran out 2 weeks before this happend and it still happens with the gpu removed

If it still happens with the GPU removed then surely it can't be a GPU issue?

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

If it still happens with the GPU removed then surely it can't be a GPU issue?

I Believe that the EC controller expects the motherboard to have a graphics card and when the EC that controls the fans doesent detect a graphics card it has no idea what to do with the fan and makes it go on jet-engine mode

I Believe that the EC controller expects the motherboard to have a graphics card and when the EC that controls the fans doesent detect a graphics card it has no idea what to do with the fan and makes it go on jet-engine mode

Have you looked into getting a replacement GPU? It could be too expensive to be worth trying with though.

Have you looked into getting a replacement GPU? It could be too expensive to be worth trying with though.

I have and i asked MSI, some other company thag works with msi, and a pc support store im sweden called Alina and none of them could get me an replacement

So is the problem just the fan atm? Because you could try installing a fan control program like speed fan or something to get it under control. I assume you're probably going to have to replace it anyway given it now has no discrete gpu?

So is the problem just the fan atm? Because you could try installing a fan control program like speed fan or something to get it under control. I assume you're probably going to have to replace it anyway given it now has no discrete gpu?

There is a fan control program JUST for this laptop that worked however the EC is still first priority and would put it on 100% anyway