Troubleshooting 4k at 60Hz

Burning Clutch
Go to solution Solved by Burning Clutch,

Well, I've got good news. The problem is solved however I'm not exactly sure how it became a problem in the first place now.

I was going to reinstall the AMD drivers when my foot nudged the main DP cable ever so slightly. This caused the cord to go loose in some place and therefore the monitor lost all signal period. So I thought for a moment about re-trying with the stock Dell cord... I plugged it in, set the monitor to read from its mDP port... and it worked, just like that. 4k at 60Hz. I'll add that this is really odd considering that the Dell DP cord DOES NOT have a locking mechanism on it and the $30 Memory Express Cord does. 

I'm quite perplexed because this is what I tried to do earlier to fix the problem, to no avail. Initially I thought the cords were loose and pushed them back. Nothing then, but everything now. 

Anyway, I'm marking this as complete. Thanks for the advise anyway!

Hello LTT forums,

A few months ago, I purchased a Dell P2715Q monitor. Out of the box, it comes with a mDP to DP cable which I used to connect to my graphics card (HD 7770, AMD). Up until today, it was running fine at a resolution of 3840x2160 at 60Hz. However, today I woke my computer up, and the monitor was unresponsive. After searching for a solution, I went out and purchased a DP to DP cable from the nearest Memory Express. After fiddling around with it for a while, the monitor started to work again... mostly.

Long story short, although the monitor states that it can support a maximum resolution of 4k @ 60Hz, my computer refuses to push it over 30Hz at 4k, or 30Hz at 3200x1800. Going down to 1440p, it will go to 60Hz though. 

With that in mind, I'm puzzled as to why it won't increase the refresh rate; whenever I open the AMD settings to look for something, Windows 10 would report some kind of error stating that it cannot provide that refresh rate. So, do you think this a sign that my card (or something else) is dying on me, or did I buy a bad cord (it was only $30 CAD)? 

Thanks,

Burning Clutch

P.S. Please don't turn this into a thread about how 4k is "wasted" at anything less than 32"... when I bought the monitor it was on a sale for only $50 more than its 1440p equivalent. 

Hello LTT forums,

A few months ago, I purchased a Dell P2715Q monitor. Out of the box, it comes with a mDP to DP cable which I used to connect to my graphics card (HD 7770, AMD). Up until today, it was running fine at a resolution of 3840x2160 at 60Hz. However, today I woke my computer up, and the monitor was unresponsive. After searching for a solution, I went out and purchased a DP to DP cable from the nearest Memory Express. After fiddling around with it for a while, the monitor started to work again... mostly.

Long story short, although the monitor states that it can support a maximum resolution of 4k @ 60Hz, my computer refuses to push it over 30Hz at 4k, or 30Hz at 3200x1800. Going down to 1440p, it will go to 60Hz though. 

With that in mind, I'm puzzled as to why it won't increase the refresh rate; whenever I open the AMD settings to look for something, Windows 10 would report some kind of error stating that it cannot provide that refresh rate. So, do you think this a sign that my card (or something else) is dying on me, or did I buy a bad cord (it was only $30 CAD)? 

Thanks,

Burning Clutch

P.S. Please don't turn this into a thread about how 4k is "wasted" at anything less than 32"... when I bought the monitor it was on a sale for only $50 more than its 1440p equivalent. 

well, first of all, can a radeon 7700 run 4k@60 htz?

well, first of all, can a radeon 7700 run 4k@60 htz?

It probably can't game at it but it sure as hell can run the desktop or a browser at it, integrated graphics can do that.

well, first of all, can a radeon 7700 run 4k@60 htz?

Yes, according to AMD's webpage, and experience.

Have you tried updating/reinstalling drivers?

I will see if reinstalling drivers does anything. According to the update history, the driver was last updated at the end of November (30th or so) and I didn't have any problems until today. 

It probably can't game at it but it sure as hell can run the desktop or a browser at it, integrated graphics can do that.

That's what my 1080p Asus monitor is for ;P. 

Yes, according to AMD's webpage (

I will see if reinstalling drivers does anything. According to the update history, the driver was last updated at the end of November (30th or so) and I didn't have any problems until today. 

new drivers come out all the time

:)

Well, I've got good news. The problem is solved however I'm not exactly sure how it became a problem in the first place now.

I was going to reinstall the AMD drivers when my foot nudged the main DP cable ever so slightly. This caused the cord to go loose in some place and therefore the monitor lost all signal period. So I thought for a moment about re-trying with the stock Dell cord... I plugged it in, set the monitor to read from its mDP port... and it worked, just like that. 4k at 60Hz. I'll add that this is really odd considering that the Dell DP cord DOES NOT have a locking mechanism on it and the $30 Memory Express Cord does. 

I'm quite perplexed because this is what I tried to do earlier to fix the problem, to no avail. Initially I thought the cords were loose and pushed them back. Nothing then, but everything now. 

Anyway, I'm marking this as complete. Thanks for the advise anyway!