DAC Advice

EpiTeK

I currently own a Xonar STX PCIe and my friend made me notice recently a buzzing sound in my mic when I a launch game.

So I finally decided to go the DAC route but I can't find any that fits my config.

I'm using Corsair SP2500 for speakers so I need a 3.5mm or analog and Sennheiser PC363D so 2x3.5mm for mic + headphones.

I also don't need an amp my Sennheiser are only 32Ω, is there any DAC out there that I can plug everything into just like my STX but external to avoid interference?

A DAC will do nothing for a microphone.

that's not technically true although practically there are no mics out there that can benefit from a dac that I know of. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

that's not technically true although practically there are no mics out there that can benefit from a dac that I know of. 

It's not "technically" true? How does a DAC affect a microphone, "technically"?

errrr you do know what a DAC actually does/means right?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

errrr you do know what a DAC actually does/means right?

Yeah, you would need an ADC and i don't think that is a thing

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yeah, you would need an ADC and i don't think that is a thing

Well, an audio interface.

Well, an audio interface.

Yeah, that makes more sense that rearranging the letters in DAC.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Yeah, that makes more sense that rearranging the letters in DAC.

ADC is correct, but generally they appear in an audio interface.

I just want to avoid the interference from a sound card, isn't there anything external if it's not a DAC?

I just want to avoid the interference from a sound card, isn't there anything external if it's not a DAC?

Asus and Creative make a couple of external soundcards with headphone out and microphone in. For super cheap, there's the Syba external sound thing.

I'm sort of an audio noob but from the one you link or this one http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Xonar-U7-Sound-Card/dp/B00E7QA9E0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449607634&sr=8-1&keywords=xonar+u7, will I notice any difference in sound compared to my xonar stx?

I don't know. Maybe? Most of the shit in this price range sounds pretty similar.

I can't find what I exactly want :/.

The Syba you linked is perfect because it's driveless and has all my inputs but it looks so cheap and the chipset is a low end VIA.

I don't mind paying up to 200$ I basically want something comparable to a DAC with all the Syba features.

Asus and Creative makes some decent one but it's all software driven with dolby, virtual 5.1 and whatnot.

I can't find what I exactly want :/.

The Syba you linked is perfect because it's driveless and has all my inputs but it looks so cheap and the chipset is a low end VIA.

I don't mind paying up to 200$ I basically want something comparable to a DAC with all the Syba features.

Asus and Creative makes some decent one but it's all software driven with dolby, virtual 5.1 and whatnot.

I don't know that you have any other options. You can get something cheap like the Syba I linked, or get the Asus/Creative offering that requires drivers.

Basically, the issue here is that if you want serious sound quality you need a serious microphone. They don't make high-end interfaces for shitty headset mics because it isn't worth it.

I'm not a streamer or doing professional recording, my mic on my PC363D might be lower quality than a Blue Yeti but compare to my friends who owns one I have way less background/keyboard noise. Also I know I overpaid my headset a bit but it isn't bad either and they wouldn't have that much noise if they had the mic right in their face but who does that while gaming except streamers.

I'm not a streamer or doing professional recording, my mic on my PC363D might be lower quality than a Blue Yeti but compare to my friends who owns one I have way less background/keyboard noise. Also I know I overpaid my headset a bit but it isn't bad either and they wouldn't have that much noise if they had the mic right in their face but who does that while gaming except streamers.

I think you're missing the point.

Basically what I'm telling you is that you do not have a lot of options for external sound-cards WITH a microphone input.

I think you're missing the point.

Basically what I'm telling you is that you do not have a lot of options for external sound-cards WITH a microphone input.

Yea and you helped alot thanks, I was just trying to explain why I have this config.

I just wish there was a product category for what I want, not sure if I will use my m50x and buy a DAC + mic now or try one of these sound cards (scared for drivers support :().

• 2 weeks later...

Works very well, don't see any change from my Xonar STX but I didn't need the amp.

The buzz sound in my mic is also gone, only 1 thing that bothers me a bit.

The speaker (analog) and headphone (3.5mm) play at the same time and I didn't see any option in the cmedia panel or the device to switch between the 2, is that normal?

Works very well, don't see any change from my Xonar STX but I didn't need the amp.

The buzz sound in my mic is also gone, only 1 thing that bothers me a bit.

The speaker (analog) and headphone (3.5mm) play at the same time and I didn't see any option in the cmedia panel or the device to switch between the 2, is that normal?

Probably? I don't know anything about this product.

I recommend the unthinkable, read the manual or go to the manufacturer website for usage instructions.

Yea already looked at both, no luck.

ooo pretty

i noticed is has an optical input - are there software options for what you can do with that input, or can it only be switched to as a sole source?