64 bit operating system only runs programs at 32 bit.

DustyIcedTea

So I have a computer i built, and it is working properly with drivers and everything running a 64 bit operating system.. Ive had it for a while and everytime I look at a program, either in the taskbar or in the task manager it says (32 bit) for all of the programs. Im not really that good with software, is there anything wrong? Are the, programs running at 64 bit and just showing 32 bit? Or are they actually running at 32 bit?

So I have a computer i built, and it is working properly with drivers and everything running a 64 bit operating system.. Ive had it for a while and everytime I look at a program, either in the taskbar or in the task manager it says (32 bit) for all of the programs. Im not really that good with software, is there anything wrong? Are the, programs running at 64 bit and just showing 32 bit? Or are they actually running at 32 bit?

Most software is 32-bit. The main limitation of a 32-bit operating system is that it can't recognize more then 4GiB of system memory, so a 64-bit system is needed for more than that.

Every program like CSGO.exe, Google chrome and practically every game and program i run, has the little (32 bit) next to it

Most software is 32-bit. The main limitation of a 32-bit operating system is that it can't recognize more then 4GiB of system memory, so a 64-bit system is needed for more than that.

So are the programs 64 bit still?

doesnt 64bit support more cores too ?

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

So are the programs 64 bit still?

Every program like CSGO.exe, Google chrome and practically every game and program i run, has the little (32 bit) next to it

Like everyone said before me, most programs are still 32bit. Google does offer 64bit Chrome, by default you download 32bit. Nothing is wrong, some programs have 32bit added to the icon name therefore it appears once you hover over it. CS:GO is a 32bit program last time I checked so nothing wrong there either.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Majority of software has yet to make the move to 64bit. However this is beginning to change especially for software that has heavy RAM usage such as DCC tools or even some games.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz