Unbalanced Sound Sennheiser 598s

Morpheus
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

if it is common with these headphones should i just return them and get some other headphones?

One last thing to check. Did you try putting the headphones on backwards? That can ensure that it isn't your hearing.

I'd also try it with multiple devices if you can.

Finally, use the tests here to confirm with the above: http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

These headphones are worth exchanging.

So I got the 598s recently and I'm pretty sure that I'm not just going crazy and there definitely is more sound in my left ear than the right. I've listened to many different sources to test it and I've also had my dad test it. The weird part was that my dad did not notice any difference whatsoever. He is a bit older so his hearing may not be that accurate but it is still a different point of view. What should I do? I can't keep listening to them normally because I feel a big difference between the right and left ears.

Do you have the same difference with another pair of headphones? If so, the balance might be off on your audio source, or your brain's audio balance might be fucked up.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

well sound in both ears wont necessarily be the same, I've just been listening the Critical Mass's theme (because reasons) and the sound in each ear definitely isn't the same (separate audio channels).

If it's raw volume then I'm not sure.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

well sound in both ears wont necessarily be the same, I've just been listening the Critical Mass's theme (because reasons) and the sound in each ear definitely isn't the same (separate audio channels).

If it's raw volume then I'm not sure.

Yeah I know that some sounds are meant for a specific ear so I was also wondering if there is someway to test if I'm right.

Do you have the same difference with another pair of headphones? If so, the balance might be off on your audio source, or your brain's audio balance might be fucked up.

I don't have other headphones to test :/

It's normal for this line of headphones to have randomly poor channel matching: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf. As you can see from the FR graph, there is at least 5dB of channel imbalance over much of the frequency range in the measured sample.

If you're not satisfied, I'd contact the reseller where you bought them for an exchange, of failing that, contact Sennheiser for a return authorization and warranty replacement.

It's normal for this line of headphones to have randomly poor channel matching: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf. As you can see from the FR graph, there is at least 5dB of channel imbalance over much of the frequency range in the measured sample.

If you're not satisfied, I'd contact the reseller where you bought them for an exchange, of failing that, contact Sennheiser for a return authorization and warranty replacement.

if it is common with these headphones should i just return them and get some other headphones?

One last thing to check. Did you try putting the headphones on backwards? That can ensure that it isn't your hearing.

Finally, use the tests here to confirm with the above: http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

tried it backwards.. still my left is louder. my hearing must be a bit more sensitive on my left ear i guess. Thanks for your help!

That.