Asus / Scan Support (GTX 980)

Murdoch

Hey. So one of the fans on my Asus GTX 980 Strix has stopped working. I think either the bearing or motor has gone.

I contacted both Scan (where I bought it) and Asus last week but haven't had a reply yet. In the mean time, I've removed the fan and the shroud and ghetto mounted a 120mm fan. The card is running fine, with decent temps so it's not a huge deal. My question is does anybody have experience of Asus/Scan support, are they likely to send me out a replacement fan, or will they insist on an RMA, the card is still within the warranty period.

Cheers for any input.

you voided your warranty by disassembling the card - don't expect support

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you voided your warranty by disassembling the card - don't expect support

Nope, I didn't remove the heatsink, where the "warranty void if removed" stickers are. I took off the shroud, which is just a metal covering, and unclipped a fan, there's no trace of anything I did.

How long ago did you purchase the card?

I've had issues with Scan and wont use them again.

I ordered a AX1200I and was sent a second hand unit. They didn't seem bothered that they had sent me a box with 2 cables...

i ordered a H110iGTX and was sent a second hand unit. They offered me a £10 partial refund... the unit had already been mounted and signs of damage were obvious.

When I complained they honestly didn't see the problem with sending me second hand shit.

Nope, I didn't remove the heatsink, where the "warranty void if removed" stickers are. I took off the shroud, which is just a metal covering, and unclipped a fan, there's no trace of anything I did.

how on earth did you rip off the heatsink?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

how on earth did you rip off the heatsink?

What are you talking about? lol

To clarify, I did not remove the heatsink. There is a metal shroud which can be removed with 4 screws, I removed that and unclipped a fan. Like I said, there is no trace of what I did. It won't void the warranty.

Here's a picture: 

stealthy-980.jpg

What are you talking about? lol

To clarify, I did not remove the heatsink. There is a metal shroud which can be removed with 4 screws, I removed that and unclipped a fan. Like I said, there is no trace of what I did. It won't void the warranty.

Are you sure it's not working ? The fans don't spin up unless the cars is stressed.

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

Are you sure it's not working ? The fans don't spin up unless the cars is stressed.

Yeah, I'm aware of their passive mode. One of the fans works, the other is dead. No matter what fan curve I use (even if I turn them on 100%).

How long ago did you purchase the card?

I've had issues with Scan and wont use them again.

I ordered a AX1200I and was sent a second hand unit. They didn't seem bothered that they had sent me a box with 2 cables...

i ordered a H110iGTX and was sent a second hand unit. They offered me a £10 partial refund... the unit had already been mounted and signs of damage were obvious.

When I complained they honestly didn't see the problem with sending me second hand shit.

Yeah their service seems to suck, I contacted them first, early last week, and they straight up haven't replied.

Yeah, I'm aware of their passive mode. One of the fans works, the other is dead. No matter what fan curve I use (even if I turn them on 100%).

Is there any store where you can buy a new motor for the fan ?

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

Did you try to contact Asus though (other than Scan) ?

that's like smashing your head against a wall - Asus have dreadful support

Is there any store where you can buy a new motor for the fan ?

Yeah, I'll look into that. I don't mind paying for a replacement fan tbh. I'm not gonna RMA the card for the sake of a fan that's for sure.

that's like smashing your head against a wall - Asus have dreadful support

Yeah I deleted that ^^

Yeah I deleted that ^^

It was fine man, no need to delete the post. That guy just likes to shit post without reading stuff properly.

I updated my Asus "support ticket" giving the part number, and asked whether they stock replacement parts. Thanks for your suggestions.