Broken GPU?

RADEON_GUY

So apparently, my GTX 970 won't work with my new motherboard. I tried putting in an old GPU, and it works. What is happening? Is my gpu bricked? IS the drivers' fault?

Have you tried the gpu in your old mobo?

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

did you plug in the gpu's power connectors? (6-pin and/or 6+2-pin)

did you plug in the gpu's power connectors? (6-pin and/or 6+2-pin)

Yeah, i did.

Have you tried the gpu in your old mobo?

it was working in the old mobo, before i switched it.

Have you checked the contact pins ?

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

Have you tried again?

If not, do that.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

how can i check them?

Well, look for dirty pins or things preventing the pins to make contact

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

Well, look for dirty pins or things preventing the pins to make contact

they seem to be ok, the gpu is recognized into the bios, but when i have the GPU in my computer and try to boot into safe mode, it gets stuck at classpnp.sys. This doesn't happen with the older gpu

they seem to be ok, the gpu is recognized into the bios, but when i have the GPU in my computer and try to boot into safe mode, it gets stuck at classpnp.sys. This doesn't happen with the older gpu

Do you have any overclock applied to it ?

Do you have any overclock applied to it ?

Nope, not overclocked.

Nope, not overclocked.

Try on another pc then, to see if it even boots. Do you have the driver for the 970 btw ?

Try on another pc then, to see if it even boots. Do you have the driver for the 970 btw ?

yes, I do

yes, I do

Can you try now and tell us if it works ?

hmm should I also try updating the bios?

there's a new bios on the msi site which says improved vga compatibility. Should I try it??

hmm should I also try updating the bios?

Yeah why not. It's always good to update the bios. I updated mine as soon as I knew how to do it (the version was from 2012) and since then I didn't experince any problems/freezes on logo like it used to happed.

Yeah why not. It's always good to update the bios. I updated mine as soon as I knew how to do it (the version was from 2012) and since then I didn't experince any problems/freezes on logo like it used to happed.

Well, I tried updating the bios. Still doesn't work. I think my gpu is bricked. Good thing I had another fairly good gpu on hand. You never know :P