Need Help fats PC acting strange and BSOD every 1 hour

Hello,

I don't know if it's the right category of threads first of all. So I have had this issue for a while now but it only changed recently to become more and more irritating. I have an ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme and it has been running just fine until one day when I plugged a HDD in and it shorted out ( the PC has shrot protection so I didn't start but it was smelling) and this is when the issues started. At first, there would be a "New CPU installed, Go in BIOS..." message each time I booted it after being powered off for any period of time. This was easily fix by just going in the BIOS and sometimes my OC would have been reset so I applied it again and saved to boot normally. This was what was happening until a few days ago.

What happens now is my mobo refuses to take the Power ON command whether I press the case button or the one directly on the mobo. This is remedied by clearing CMOS and the it will tell me to go in BIOS where only my CPU OC would be reset most of the time. This is getting out of hand and I know I should ask for help if anything unusual happens and I can't fix it. 

There doesn't seem to be problems with the mobo itself or any of my hardware, just this BIOS thing. Also note that I have Dual BIOS and the second one doesn't have any issues or OC's to be able to repair my PC in case the first completely bugs out and I'd prefer not using it because there are no OC applied in it.

Also, I now get MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION errors and sometimes it just hangs up, stops responding and then restarts without showing any error messages. This is rendering my PC useless as it happens really often. Also, I tried running sfc /scannow in CMD in admin mode as well as updating windows without success. I managed to extend my crash frequency from 15 minutes to 30 mins-1 hour though

I hope this isn't serious or too hard to fix and if you need any sort of details do not hesitate as I want to fix this once and for all. My PC even with rater old HDD's boots up pretty fast but since this, it takes a minute or two of faffing about just to get to the OS and it really is starting to become an nuisance.

Thanks in advance

How did you short it out with a HDD? Is that even possible?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Hello,

I don't know if it's the right category of threads first of all. So I have had this issue for a while now but it only changed recently to become more and more irritating. I have an ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme and it has been running just fine until one day when I plugged a HDD in and it shorted out ( the PC has shrot protection so I didn't start but it was smelling) and this is when the issues started. At first, there would be a "New CPU installed, Go in BIOS..." message each time I booted it after being powered off for any period of time. This was easily fix by just going in the BIOS and sometimes my OC would have been reset so I applied it again and saved to boot normally. This was what was happening until a few days ago.

What happens now is my mobo refuses to take the Power ON command whether I press the case button or the one directly on the mobo. This is remedied by clearing CMOS and the it will tell me to go in BIOS where only my CPU OC would be reset most of the time. This is getting out of hand and I know I should ask for help if anything unusual happens and I can't fix it. 

There doesn't seem to be problems with the mobo itself or any of my hardware, just this BIOS thing. Also note that I have Dual BIOS and the second one doesn't have any issues or OC's to be able to repair my PC in case the first completely bugs out and I'd prefer not using it because there are no OC applied in it.

Also, I now get MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION errors and sometimes it just hangs up, stops responding and then restarts without showing any error messages. This is rendering my PC useless as it happens really often. Also, I tried running sfc /scannow in CMD in admin mode as well as updating windows without success. I managed to extend my crash frequency from 15 minutes to 30 mins-1 hour though

I hope this isn't serious or too hard to fix and if you need any sort of details do not hesitate as I want to fix this once and for all. My PC even with rater old HDD's boots up pretty fast but since this, it takes a minute or two of faffing about just to get to the OS and it really is starting to become an nuisance.

Thanks in advance

Well if you could smell electronics then you probably have fried you MB!! I cannot see how a HDD would 'short' a MB but I guess it possible!! But yeah sounds like a very very poor MB, maybe speak to Asus or ur retailer and look at getting an RMA if its covered for such issues if the HDD was faulty it maybe covered

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Well if you could smell electronics then you probably have fried you MB!! I cannot see how a HDD would 'short' a MB but I guess it possible!! But yeah sounds like a very very poor MB, maybe speak to Asus or ur retailer and look at getting an RMA if its covered for such issues if the HDD was faulty it maybe covered

I hvae shorted a old HDD that probably was going to die soon anyway. And no there is no hardware damage whatsoever to any of the components. And this is amazing how fast I got a response form guys here vs. at Tom's hardware. You guys rock! And you misunderstood: the HDD got fried not the mobo or any of the components...

And I don't use that hard drive anymore. It was just this part smelling stop freaking out about my mobo dying and no it's not a poor mobo. the Maximus series is very reputable and robust. The BIOS seems screwed up and I can't find the latest drivers so I am ass out of lukc? do you guys have anything more to suggest?

I hvae shorted a old HDD that probably was going to die soon anyway. And no there is no hardware damage whatsoever to any of the components. And this is amazing how fast I got a response form guys here vs. at Tom's hardware. You guys rock!

Well if it was kind of your fault that the MB was shorted then you may have to buy a new one tbh.... As I say speak to ur retailer or Asus and they should be able to come up with a solution but I would say the fault in ur system is the MB there my freind!!

And your welcome for the fast response!! Welcome to the LTT forums dude!  

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

And I don't use that hard drive anymore. It was just this part smelling stop freaking out about my mobo dying and no it's not a poor mobo. the Maximus series is very reputable and robust. The BIOS seems screwed up and I can't find the latest drivers so I am ass out of lukc? do you guys have anything more to suggest?

Asus may also be able to send you a new BIOS chip or if u send it away re-flash the BIOS manually for u

Have you tried to recover the BIOS using Flashback?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Can I do the BIOS flash by myself? I have 2 BIOS so this shouldn't be too risky right? Just tell me how to do it I am familiar with this sort of stuff and an MA wouldn't be possible since this mobo is 3 years old now

nope, I am going to try this and update you guys on the situation

Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. It really does matter that the BIOS file is named a certain way, and that it is in a specific location on the USB stick.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. It really does matter that the BIOS file is named a certain way, and that it is in a specific location on the USB stick.

Okay I have Maximus IV extreme so it has to be named M4E and I am going to put it in root and there will be nothing else on the flash drive. Is that good?

Okay I have Maximus IV extreme so it has to be named M4E and I am going to put it in root and there will be nothing else on the flash drive. Is that good?

If that is what the manual says. I don't know the insides and out of that specific motherboard. Sounds right, given the instructions on my old Sabertooth, but I'd go by what the manual says over what some guy on the internet says :)

If that is what the manual says. I don't know the insides and out of that specific motherboard. Sounds right, given the instructions on my old Sabertooth, but I'd go by what the manual says over what some guy on the internet says :)

Time to dig this box form my archives then. Will do according to online manual and compare it to paper one found in box

Also, the guy from the video is from team ROG so it's not just any guy talking right? And it showed he succeeded so im going to do it that way

Also, the guy from the video is from team ROG so it's not just any guy talking right? And it showed he succeeded so im going to do it that way

By "some guy on the internet" I meant me, not the presenter in the video :)

By "some guy on the internet" I meant me, not the presenter in the video :)

Oh ok xD. I updated the BIOS and now it says to update again using the Asus update software in the OS. I'm going to do just that and probably have to restart after this one. But I still need help on the random system crashes... think about it in the meanwhile please :D

Oh ok xD. I updated the BIOS and now it says to update again using the Asus update software in the OS. I'm going to do just that and probably have to restart after this one. But I still need help on the random system crashes... think about it in the meanwhile please :D

I would see if the system is stable and persistently boots correctly before changing anything else, tbh. So if it continues to boot correctly for a week, then I'd start to look at why Windows is crashing.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but don't run an overclock on any component until the system is stable (to avoid adding an additional source for errors).

I would see if the system is stable and persistently boots correctly before changing anything else, tbh. So if it continues to boot correctly for a week, then I'd start to look at why Windows is crashing.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but don't run an overclock on any component until the system is stable (to avoid adding an additional source for errors).

OK will wait for a week to go by and as I use the PC nearly everyday that will be enough to test stability. And I will reset my OC's for this week