AMD or Nvidia Cards???

RazeG3SG1

Hello everyone, i'm new to pc building. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the old AMD vs Nvidia. Just what are the pros and cons of the two?

I'm choosing between a GTX 770 and HD7970(Volcanic islands in future)

wait for the 9xxx series to see what happens, if you want one now (not recommended) i would personally get the 7970

The reason he suggests the 7970 is likely because it comes with 3 free games and is $100 cheaper than the GTX 770.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Right now, AMD

every other time depends on which exclusives you're into and what's up the pipes (which determines price -- like right now.)

Error: 410

I'd say the 7970 aswell.

Or wait till 9xxx series and either get the 9xxx at release, or the 7970 since it will likely then be further discounted.

i7-720qm 1.6GHz | Acer Aspire 8943G motherboard (Al ram heatsink'd heatpipes)  | 16GB Kingston 1066 SODIMM | Radeon Mobility HD5850 1GB GDDR3 | 750GB WD 7200RPM HDD 

"Sitting exposed on top of my printer" case (insane airflow)

I have heard abt amd being really bad with drivers which resulted in stuttering. Is it fixed in the latest drivers?

I really want to know what's good and what's bad abt the both

Wait then get a radeon card.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I have heard abt amd being really bad with drivers which resulted in stuttering. Is it fixed in the latest drivers?

I really want to know what's good and what's bad abt the both

Go strictly for price to performance unless there's a few games that you really like and are optimized for a specific platform.

AMD drivers are fine, you'll hear rabble about both Nvidia and AMD having trash drivers. Both have sucky drivers, so don't bother caring.

You don't have to care about stutering unless you're doing Crossfire, which you don't seem to be doing. The latest drivers did not completely fixed it, but it was addressed and lessened greatly.

Edited by helping

Error: 410

The reason he suggests the 7970 is likely because it comes with 3 free games and is $100 cheaper than the GTX 770.

nailed it

Wait untill volcanic island otherwise 7970

Only one more month. I can do this. I can do this.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm a Nvidia person... IDK why, I just feel more premium with it even though I know both sides are amazing. Maybe I'm a fanboy? IDK. AMD is bang for the buck though.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Wow, I'm impressed, a whole page on this topic without starting a new GPU war.

This question has been asked multiple times on this forum, and never answered definitively - for a reason.

-buy what best suits you. What games do you play/plan to play in the future, what's your CPU/mobo combo, and most important of all: what's your budget (show me the money, show me the money!)?

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Answer is subjective. But I prefer AMD at the moment.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

Can't go wrong with either of that but the question is, how much is the price for each card and will you get Never Settle Forever game bundle?

Micro stuttering is non-existence in AMD single gpu configuration, it has been fixed many months ago and for dual GPU configuration, Catalyst 13.8 beta had the Frame-pacing feature that eliminate micro-stuttering but currently it only work in DX10/DX11 games and single monitor up to 2560x1440 resolution. DX9 and Eyefinity fix coming soon in next beta driver or WHQL.

Noteable feature of 770 is GPU Boost 2.0 which will boost the clock speed according to TDP and Temp, in layman term.. automatic overclocking. Cuda and Physx is another feature that worth to mention but i don't really support prorietary technology.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

For best bang for the buck AMD 7970 right now is a great deal. but when 9000  comes out nvidia should come down a bit also.

CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 w/2X NF-A14 FLX MoBo: Asus M5A99FX Pro Rev 2.0 Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper@1720 GPU: Sapphire Dual-X HD7970@1100/1500 Storage: Samsung 840 120GB(OS), Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 64MB PSU: Sparkle 850W Gold Case: Corsair C70 Military green w/ Solid window Keyboard: Ducky Shines 3 (MX Blues), Razer BlackWidow 2013 Ultimate Mouse: Corsair M90,M65 w/ Vengeance MM600

If you're still having trouble deciding, consider this:

The 7970 and 770 are nearly neck to neck.

The 7970 is considerably cheaper.

The 7970 has 3GB vram as opposed to 2GB. (Disregarding the even more costly 770 4GB).

The 7970 comes with le games.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Only one more month. I can do this. I can do this.

Waiting is a lot easier when you don't have money in the first place xD   

i7-720qm 1.6GHz | Acer Aspire 8943G motherboard (Al ram heatsink'd heatpipes)  | 16GB Kingston 1066 SODIMM | Radeon Mobility HD5850 1GB GDDR3 | 750GB WD 7200RPM HDD 

"Sitting exposed on top of my printer" case (insane airflow)

Waiting is a lot easier when you don't have money in the first place xD   

Oh, a lot. xD

I have $300 saved so far. Cannot wait. I want a dedicated GPU soooo bad. 

† Christian Member †

I'm a Nvidia person... IDK why, I just feel more premium with it even though I know both sides are amazing. Maybe I'm a fanboy? IDK. AMD is bang for the buck though.

Nvidia is more premium. Just look at the GTX 780 and Titan cooler. Then compare it to HD7970 and this abomination:

AMD_HD_8970.jpeg

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Really Xelithium, really? I just waited for your comments to start knocking on amd and brag about nvidia's superiority.

Every single thread, you tell the same story: "boo amd, go nvidia!" -But things aren't so black and white, and 90% of the guys on the forum who are active agree.

7970 is a 2-year old card, and just look at the 590's reference cooler before you say anything else, since they're pretty much the same age... But that's irrelevant because the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The sad part is price/performance-wise the AMD card wipe the floor with nvidia, and remember that price is important to roughly 90% (my estimate) of the buyers. I'm not saying that nvidia cards aren't faster, but they're much more expensive.

Again, your arguments are invalid, and smell of fanboyism all the way to Canada. And my last 2 cards were nvidia, so there.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Meh, you see the posts every time, I don't worry about that... Also, you're proving to be quite the keyboard warrior, go on, see if I care. But it's nice to see how unbiased you are, and how valid your posts and opinions are, regarding this topic at least. Also the language you use is most exquisite.

I wonder how long it will take for the next warning to arrive... No matter, every forum has it's flamer.

UU-uu, if you dont give a "flying fuck" why do you post? You feel the calling to convince everyone your opinion is the only valid?

Lol was someone saying something about the AMD vs NVIDIA war and how there was no such thing in this topic? Or something? =D

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H