build check before i buy

johnmhigh

Im putting together a budget (cheap as it can be but still be fit for use) gaming PC for my nephew for christmas, just has to play games on med setting, 50 - 60fps minecraft, Civ5, need for speed, FIFA that type of stuff.

so far i picked

Mobo

H81M-K INTEL H81 (SOCKET 1150)

CPU

CORE I3-4170 3.70GHZ ............. (should i go i5 or will an i3 do the job?)

RAM

TEAMGROUP ELITE BLACK 8GB (2X4GB) 1600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL........(if i keep an i3 will 4GB suffice?)

GPU

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 750TI SC 2048MB

PSU

EVGA 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE POWER SUPPLY

HDD

toshiba 1TB SATA 6GB/S 32MB CACHE HDD

I think it looks ok for him, already have my old case and 120GB SSD and Corsair H50 for it

Look ok for entry build? only thing im not really sure about is the CPU, should i go i5, if not shall i get rid of 4GB of the RAM, will it be enough?

Thanks

Budget please

Im putting together a budget (cheap as it can be but still be fit for use) gaming PC for my nephew for christmas, just has to play games on med setting, 50 - 60fps minecraft, Civ5, need for speed, FIFA that type of stuff.

so far i picked

Mobo

H81M-K INTEL H81 (SOCKET 1150)

CPU

CORE I3-4170 3.70GHZ ............. (should i go i5 or will an i3 do the job?)

RAM

TEAMGROUP ELITE BLACK 8GB (2X4GB) 1600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL........(if i keep an i3 will 4GB suffice?)

GPU

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 750TI SC 2048MB

PSU

EVGA 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE POWER SUPPLY

HDD

toshiba 1TB SATA 6GB/S 32MB CACHE HDD

I think it looks ok for him, already have my old case and 120GB SSD and Corsair H50 for it

Look ok for entry build? only thing im not really sure about is the CPU, should i go i5, if not shall i get rid of 4GB of the RAM, will it be enough?

Thanks

i would spend extra for a 950 cause hen u can sli in the futue so you have an upgrade path

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Im putting together a budget (cheap as it can be but still be fit for use) gaming PC for my nephew for christmas, just has to play games on med setting, 50 - 60fps minecraft, Civ5, need for speed,

If you want cheap an APU is going to be your best bet, if you were going to spend a bit more I'd recommend a 380 over a 950 as it costs like 20 dollars more from the retail price and adds a fair bit of performance

I also would not recommend you get a solely dual core CPU, you're going to have a bad time running some newer games in the future

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

for a budget PC that should work fine. I would however recommend getting the intel pentium G3258 instead of the i3 and getting a GTX 950 instead.

but you kinda need an i3 these days 2 cores isnt enough though....

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

A core i3 IS also two cores. The only difference is the i3 has hyper-threading to give it two additional logical cores for a total of four threads. So no the core i3 is still a dual core.

The difference is a game like Far Cry 4 or GTAV will run on the i3 while it won't on the G3258, and just for daily multi tasking the i3 makes a lot more sense to get, or an 860k depending on the region

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

A core i3 IS also two cores. The only difference is the i3 has hyper-threading to give it two additional logical cores for a total of four threads. So no the core i3 is still a dual core.

yeah i know hyperthreading is kinda needed some games wont run witout 4 threads

You know what maybe an i3 would work just fine. You can't OC on it but you get good single-threaded performance (and four "cores") . 

yeah thats what i was thinking and he should go intel so he has an upgrade path and he could get a i5 o i7 in the future down the line when the become cheaper