Moving to higher resolution, what graphics card to get?

Rhizo

Hi guys, I have a 560ti at the moment, which can run pretty much everything at max on my 1360x768 display at the moment, however I am planning on moving to a 1440p display soon. Therefore, I am looking for a new graphics card!

It's between:

waiting for 8000 and 700 series cards?

I don't mind waiting, so what do you guys think? Preferably will be able to play high end games at 60fps (maxed).

Thanks,

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

It's between: 7970 670 waiting for 8000 and 700 series cards?

The HD7970 performs the same as the GTX680, slightly better in some games and slightly worse in others.

It is also 25% cheaper compared to the GTX680, at least here in the UK.

I would get the HD7970...

If your going to be doing video editing go nvidia. CUDA is used by a lot of major video editing programs. If your just gaming, go with the 7970. It will beat the gtx 670 in almost every game and right now they are about the same price on newegg.com

The 560ti isn't too bad, I would get your new display, and survive at lower quality/FPS until next gen. I have heard that 700 won't come out for a while, but HD 8000 should be Q1-Q2.

The 560ti isn't too bad' date=' I would get your new display, and survive at lower quality/FPS until next gen. I have heard that 700 won't come out for a while, but HD 8000 should be Q1-Q2.[/quote']

Sounds ok, I was also thinking of just adding another 560ti, but would I get bottlenecked by 1gb Vram? I guess I could get a 2gb one if that would work?

When moving up in resolutions and/or AA & AF settings you will start using a lot of memory, a memory bandwidth test was used in one of the reviews and it revealed that in a number of games playing on 2560x1440 or higher was actually utilizing more than 2 GB of GDDR5 RAM , which means that you are going to need to either go for a 7900 series card or a 4GB GTX670/680 version.

Seeing though as how the 7970 already performs similarly to the GTX 680 while having more RAM and a wider memory interface and being more than100$ cheaper than the 4GB model, I think that would be your best bet.

Yes, you would be bottlenecked by VRAM and if your current one is 1GB adding another 2GB won't help.

Assuming it works you will still only effectively have 1GB of VRAM as when doing SLI or Crossfire every single card stores all the same textures.

If were you I would really just sell your 560Ti and get a 7970

For higher resolutions you defintley want more VRAM. So for that I recommend the HD7970. I was actually about to switch to a 7970 from a 680 myself.

I would go with the 7970, because its cheaper, and it also performs pretty much the same as a 680. If you can find an OC version of the 7970 on sale or something, that would be even better.

Sounds ok' date=' I was also thinking of just adding another 560ti, but would I get bottlenecked by 1gb Vram? I guess I could get a 2gb one if that would work? [/quote']

it's not just the V-ram, buying a second card is never really worth it, just buy a new faster single card.... I would only buy 2 cards if you needed the performance, or the performance per dollar was better than a single card...

2600K 4.6ghz, Maximus IV extreme-z, 16gb 1600, GTX 780, SB X-Fi Titanium HD, CM silent pro m 850, corsair 800D

If you don't mind waiting, then that's why I would recommend. It's been quite a while since the 600 series released, so 700 should be soon. Plus a lot of current rumors say early Q2, which really isn't very far off. It's not like you're on a dying card, the 560 can hold up for a bit more.

I don't mind waiting' date=' so what do you guys think?[/quote']

If you don't mind waiting, the 8000 series is most likely coming out Q2 of this year. You will get the best value with the latest generation, and the 8000 series will probably be a bigger jump than the 700 series.

7970 is on par with GTX670

but it all comes down to the features you need.

Ether you want EyeFinity or you are looking for Nvidia 3D Vision. Both AMD and nVdia have a lot to deliver

Also depends on the motherboard you have.

Id go with GTX670. Because just of physx and 3d vision and its more then capable to run the display of that resolution.

Best luck to you :P

I don't mind waiting' date=' so what do you guys think?[/quote'] If you don't mind waiting, the 8000 series is most likely coming out Q2 of this year. You will get the best value with the latest generation, and the 8000 series will probably be a bigger jump than the 700 series.

7970 is on par with GTX670 but it all comes down to the features you need. Ether you want EyeFinity or you are looking for Nvidia 3D Vision. Both AMD and nVdia have a lot to deliver Also depends on the motherboard you have. Id go with GTX670. Because just of physx and 3d vision and its more then capable to run the display of that resolution. Best luck to you :P

Well, I don't mind waiting, so I may just do that...

To be honest, I don't really care about 3d vision or eyefinity (although, 3 1080p monitors instead of 1 1440p would be about the same price...) so maybe eyefinity could be a good idea... What card would run the most demanding games at 3 screen 1080p 60fps? I would doubt one 7970 would do it?

Thanks,

Any high performance GFX card with more than 2GB of VRAM will hold you over quite well.

I Run Farcry 3 On A Asus Gtx 680 DirectCU2 Top 2GB at 2560x1440p With A 3770K@4.6 Ultra Setting's No VSync Or Msaa And I Get 54-64 FPS With The Current 310.90 Driver's My Mate Run's A 7970 Ghz Edition And Get's Similiar Results At 48-60 FPS ! So I Would Say A 7970 Ghz Edition Would Suit You At A Decent Price/Performance Point !

AMD will rock at higher resolutions esp. when youre gonna play games.

Get a 7950/7970, depending on your budget.

Altho, if youre not in a hurry then wait for 8xxx series of AMD cards to release, theyre around the corner more or less! :)

Keep the 560ti for now, get the display, and wait for the 8000 series prices to come down when the nvidia cards come out. I made this mistake last year and really overpaid on my 7970 (don't ask how much, it's a shame). AMD generally has more VRAM on their cards so I'd suggest taking them regardless, even if they don't perform as well as nvidia at launch. AMD is really starting to pay attention to drivers so I doubt that will actually happen in the next-gen cards.

My Current Build:

• 5.0GHz i7-3770k Processor
  • Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 Mobo
  • SLI Asus DCUII 670's Watercooled
  • 120GB Corsair Force GT3 Boot SSD
  • 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
  • 16GB 1866MHz 9-10-9-27 G.Skill Ripjaws Z Memory
  • 1050w Seasonic 80+ Gold
  • Caselabs M8
  • Windows 7 64 bit
  • Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Drive
  • Creative Recon 3D Sound Card
  • XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock
  • Dual 360mm UT60 Rads
  • 15 Yate Loon Medium fans
  • Yamakasi Catleap Monitor (1440p)
  • Sennheiser HD 598

When both cards are performing exactly the same within margin of error. You have to choose the card that you think is better because you are gonna have to use it. If you want to wait to see how the next generation of cards do then that is your choice. If you do that you will always be waiting because the series after that is only gonna be half a year to a year down the road. Choose something now that you are gonna be happy with for two or three generations and then replace it or else you will always be playing the waiting game.