Question about my upcoming rig and the Acer X34 Predator

ScottR36

Hello everyone,

I have a question wether my upcoming rig I'm building will be strong enough to power the Acer X34 Predator monitor. I thought it would be, as I'm building a pretty strong machine, but have heard some things to the contrary.

The pertinent pieces of my machine:

i7-6700k - overclocked, obviously

Corsair H100i GTX

EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified - overclocked, obviously

16 GB of GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3000

EVGA Supernova 850w G2

So am I worried about nothing? Will I really need to go SLI for this monitor? Help me out please!

Thanks!

A single 980 Ti can handle 1440p with little issues.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

A single 980 Ti can handle 1440p with little issues.

Ultrawide 1440p is 34% more pixels tho :P

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Ultrawide 1440p is 34% more pixels tho :P

It can still handle it.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Hello everyone,

I have a question wether my upcoming rig I'm building will be strong enough to power the Acer X34 Predator monitor. I thought it would be, as I'm building a pretty strong machine, but have heard some things to the contrary.

Corsair H100i GTX

EVGA Supernova 850w G2

So am I worried about nothing? Will I really need to go SLI for this monitor? Help me out please!

Thanks!

Instead of the classified you are probably better off getting a 980Ti Hybrid form EVGA if your case can fit the radiator

Hello everyone,

Corsair H100i GTX

EVGA Supernova 850w G2

Thanks!

It can handle it, you will get about 50-60 FPS in most games, so you will not take advantage of 100hz, also at that FPS you will notice the scan line issue. That is one of the many problems with the ACER Predator X34, do not buy that monitor, it has so many problems. Wait for the ASUS PG348Q

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

It can handle it, you will get about 50-60 FPS in most games, so you will not take advantage of 100hz, also at that FPS you will notice the scan line issue. That is one of the many problems with the ACER Predator X34, do not buy that monitor, it has so many problems. Wait for the ASUS PG348Q

So when is it coming Metros?  I need ASUS to be better priced.  1300 plus tax is just too much on these ultrawides.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

So when is it coming Metros?  I need ASUS to be better priced.  1300 plus tax is just too much on these ultrawides.

It is about early January

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Alright thanks for the help, will wait for the ASUS!

Please do not listen to Metro. He has a hard on for hating on Acer. The 1st release of the x34 had issues as do all of the recent monitors coming out lately it seems. I'm quite happy to report that I picked up a 2nd release yesterday of the x34 and it literally has ZERO problems. Reaches the full 100hz, very minimal ips glow, no back light bleed, no coil whine, no scan line issues, and no wake from sleep issue. So whatever Acer did for the 2nd release seemed to work. It's a gorgeous monitor and definitely worth it if you're shopping for a new monitor.

Asus also has there version coming out soonish as well. If you can wait another month or two, please do. It never hurts to have options in a decision like this. I personally went with the x34 for aesthetic reasons.

Hello everyone,

Corsair H100i GTX

EVGA Supernova 850w G2

Thanks!

X34 is a waste of money and a lot of owners are reporting quality control issues. Also do not go for the EVGA Classified, even the FTW edition is faster yet costs less!

Go EVGA Hybrid or if you want high clocks on air, then Gigabyte G1 or MSI Lightning will do.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

I'm quite happy to report that I picked up a 2nd release yesterday of the x34 and it literally has ZERO problems.

Where did you get the second release? Who has them in stock?

Where did you get the second release? Who has them in stock?

I have a contact at my local Micro Center who has been letting me know what's going on and when they were expecting more stock.  Picked mine up and it was flawless out of the box.  After the debacle with the first one, I wanted to buy it local instead of ordering it online.  I know Newegg and Amazon both had some in stock a day or two ago.  I don't know if that still holds true or not.

My recommendation is to follow this sub-reddit:  https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/  

They are pretty good at letting people know when more are in stock.

Once again thank you, giving me good info to think over. I won't be buying it before Christmas, so maybe I'll wait and see how things shake out.

Thanks again.

Once again thank you, giving me good info to think over. I won't be buying it before Christmas, so maybe I'll wait and see how things shake out.

Thanks again.

I would wait for that information about a new release, as ACER recalled the monitor ages ago, there has been no information from ACER about this "magic fix" so I would not listen.

Please do not listen to Metro. He has a hard on for hating on Acer. The 1st release of the x34 had issues as do all of the recent monitors coming out lately it seems. I'm quite happy to report that I picked up a 2nd release yesterday of the x34 and it literally has ZERO problems. Reaches the full 100hz, very minimal ips glow, no back light bleed, no coil whine, no scan line issues, and no wake from sleep issue. So whatever Acer did for the 2nd release seemed to work. It's a gorgeous monitor and definitely worth it if you're shopping for a new monitor.

Asus also has there version coming out soonish as well. If you can wait another month or two, please do. It never hurts to have options in a decision like this. I personally went with the x34 for aesthetic reasons.

You could have been one of the people who got a decent panel (the small amount) no information on new panels. ACER did not say they were fixing the scan line issue, so the issues still exist. I am being hard on ACER as there are so many issues with the ACER Predator X34

I would wait for that information about a new release, as ACER recalled the monitor ages ago, there has been no information from ACER about this "magic fix" so I would not listen.

You could have been one of the people who got a decent panel (the small amount) no information on new panels. ACER did not say they were fixing the scan line issue, so the issues still exist. I am being hard on ACER as there are so many issues with the ACER Predator X34

If you don't have hard evidence that a "small amount" of people got perfect panels then you can't say that. The simple fact of the matter is you don't actually know how many good vs bad there really are and neither do I. What I do know for a fact is that the 2nd Gen that came into the local micro center have been perfectly fine. The guy I know there has sold 6 since they came in and he's said that all have been fine except for one and that one was a damaged stand that happened in shipping. He said the box was pretty beat up. So from what I know to be true thus far, the 2nd gen is vastly improved.

Well if you're so hard on acer for all their problems, I don't see you with your torch and pitchfork rallying the towns people over all the problems with the new Asus rog swift. So you're one sided.