How can I move a HDD to a new PC, without a new OS?

refinedskillz

It's quite hard to do, i know, but i wish i could do it, tbh i don't mind a new OS, as long as i keep programs and files, but i don't want to build ny new pc on christmas and then not be able to fully use it for an hour, any tools or anything to do this? Thanks in advance.

By keeping programs and files i mean like having my desktop and stuff as it was, but new drivers and such.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

I would always recommend a clean install, but you can try sysprep - oobe.

It really wouldn't be much quicker though, lol.

also if you're changing hardware dont forget to set the generalize flag.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You mean the HDD with the OS into a new PC? No thats not possible. You need a clean install with the correct chipsetsrivers ect. to run the System without issues.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You mean the HDD with the OS into a new PC? No thats not possible. You need a clean install with the correct chipsetsrivers ect. to run the System without issues.

It's very possible. It's just more likely that every thing goes smoothly with a clean install.

It can be done but it depends on what the difference is between the 2 sets. For example if you are staying within the same generation and brand its much easier but if you're jumping generations and brands it can be near impossible.

You will have problems which may you may need to do a reinstall to fix.

My recommendation would be to do a backup (windows has a built-in tool), install new OS then restore from backup. That way everything is clean and you don't have to put up any bugs.

-アパゾ

It's very possible. It's just more likely that every thing goes smoothly with a clean install.

My expierence is, that anything but a clean install is a bad idea.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It's quite hard to do, i know, but i wish i could do it, tbh i don't mind a new OS, as long as i keep programs and files, but i don't want to build ny new pc on christmas and then not be able to fully use it for an hour, any tools or anything to do this? Thanks in advance.

By keeping programs and files i mean like having my desktop and stuff as it was, but new drivers and such.

I have successfully done this before (With Windows 7). You'll need to go into device manager and uninstall ALL the devices in the system, except those that you'll be transferring into the new system such as a gpu (make sure Windows does not automatically download the drivers for your chipset again, this could lead to boot-up BSODs, disconnect your internet or something).

Afterwards, move the drive to the new system and download all the up-to-date drivers from the manufacturers' websites. If it struggles to boot, boot into safe mode and uninstall any remaining drivers that might be causing issues. Install your chipset driver first, or you won't be able to sleep your computer, or access all the sensors (e.g. temperature, fan speed) in the system.

If it is an OEM install of Windows (e.g. pre-installed from the factory) then it can't be moved to the new system. When the OEM install checks the BIOS for the license key and can't find it, it will enter a BSOD loop. However, if you installed Windows yourself, you are good to go.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

The thing about changing a HDD to a new PC is that Windows may have licensing issues (claiming its non genuine) - a while ago I upgraded my PC (all new hardware except the hdd) and my Windows 7 at the time got angry and required me to reactivate my system...

Also I've come across issues if switching from Intel to AMD where the system just will not boot (this was a windows 8.1), even when I tried using a system repair disk it didn't help; I had to do a full install to fix it in this case.

Often the move does work and later windows like 8.1 and 10 handle it much better than windows 7 for instance; but a backup is always a good idea before trying this just in case you plug it into the new system and *somehow* it corrupts or breaks stuff to an extent that the HDD wouldn't work in the old setup either.

Think of building a PC as building a house...

If you start out on poor foundations, it doesn't matter the quality of the materials... the overall integrity of the property would be compromised and may even fail completely...

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

For just leaving software. You would need dual drive system. Which in this case means SSD boot drive and most of software on secondary drive. This will work. It will be pain to get everything sorted out but it will work.

What I would still suggest (I did the above and I'm still reinstalling stuff that doesn't work) is to backup user configs and other stuff from AppData etc. and restore them after you have reinstalled software. Most things will work just fine. And its better that you get used to idea that it takes time to setup PC. If you are gonna go on with this hobby, that will be regular even in your life.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv