Overheating or bad PSU?

no_clntrol

PC turned off without warning yesterday when playing with my newly installed GPU. Never happened before that. I was running Bioshock Infinite, temps slightly above 77C last time I checked, then it just died, FPS was fine, fans sounded fine. Trying to start my computer again required a couple of attempts pressing the power button. If it matters, PSU "casing" was hotter than the surface of the GPU after it died.

Specs: AMD-FX4100, Asus GTX970 Turbo, AXP-500P12P (372w on 12v), Windows 7 64-bit

Is this the text below my post?

It's too weak to support a GTX 970 apparently.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Considering its name I wouldn't be surprised if the PSU was the cause.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

It's too weak to support a GTX 970 apparently.

I've heard both, like a 970 system wouldn't need more than 300w at full load. But on the other hand it needs like 30A from the 12V. If that is the case, I believe I am FUBAR.

first thing right off the bad your cpu is really bottlenecking your gpu even a 6300 will bottleneck it slightly when overclocked. you might just need a better psu that psu isnt even 80+.

if budget is the problem get thermaltake or cx from corsair etc. you don't need 80+ platinum but you really need some 80+.

Also if the PSU is getting hot like that its a fire hazard and it may blow up :/.

Watch some PSU reviews from linus and jay and other people so you know what you're getting into.

I hope I helped.

I've heard both, like a 970 system wouldn't need more than 300w at full load. But on the other hand it needs like 30A from the 12V. If that is the case, I believe I am FUBAR.

Meh I actually overclocked a GTX 970 on a crappy 600W PSU but it only had 16A on the 12V rail. It's the wattage that's the issue. Remember that PSUs degrade over time

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Considering its name I wouldn't be surprised if the PSU was the cause.

I thought so as well, it was made in 2007,and I have used mine for like 2 years leaving it on for 24/7 at times. What are the risks of PSU not being enough though? I have a new one incoming but I'd love to still be able to play.

That 970 shit was probably from some nvidia fanboy who thinks hes saving 1000s of dollars a year by going with intel and nvidia vs amd xD.

im no amd fanboy but I understand power. unless you live in north korea or your power bill is like a dollar per kwh youre really not going to save much.

I thought so as well, it was made in 2007,and I have used mine for like 2 years leaving it on for 24/7 at times. What are the risks of PSU not being enough though? I have a new one incoming but I'd love to still be able to play.

underclock/undervolt your gpu and cpu if you can sacrifice the performance and you should be good. unplug any unnecessary fans etc that will use your power if you REALLY need to cut the wattage used.

first thing right off the bad your cpu is really bottlenecking your gpu even a 6300 will bottleneck it slightly when overclocked. you might just need a better psu that psu isnt even 80+.

if budget is the problem get thermaltake or cx from corsair etc. you don't need 80+ platinum but you really need some 80+.

Also if the PSU is getting hot like that its a fire hazard and it may blow up :/.

Watch some PSU reviews from linus and jay and other people so you know what you're getting into.

I hope I helped.

This thread was not about bottlenecking, I am fully aware, and I am getting a 4690k.

Fire hazards in the computer can never be good lol, suppose I'll lay low on the GPU load.

After reading reviews and on this thread I ordered the EVGA G2 650W this morning, hopefully it'll improve the situation.

underclock/undervolt your gpu and cpu if you can sacrifice the performance and you should be good. unplug any unnecessary fans etc that will use your power if you REALLY need to cut the wattage used.

Can this be done through the Asus GPU Tweak? And how low? Never really done any tweaking since my last system sucked deek.

650 should be good. I have an amd card right now so idk about nvidia, but you can underclock and undervolt using amd catalyst.

Should be possible unless the voltage is locked on the 970. It's locked on my 270x, but thats becasue I have a shitty powercolor one cause poor :)