Linux Help

LittleCarrot

I am trying to learn coding. I am stuck. Whats the command I need?

post-242723-0-75981300-1449113150_thumb.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

The command to move up a directory is "cd .."

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

That appears to be using the terminal, not coding...

I think you are looking for the cd command

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The command to move up a directory is "cd .."

I have been trying that. 

$ cd drama/historical/      

- Albert Einstein

That appears to be using the terminal, not coding...

I think you are looking for the cd command

I have been trying that. Mind tell me the exact command. They are telling me to use the CP command.

- Albert Einstein

From their Website:

Here's one more way to use cp.Navigate up one directory from drama/historical/ to drama/. (Here's a hint on how to do this.)

- Albert Einstein

From their Website:

Here's one more way to use cp.Navigate up one directory from drama/historical/ to drama/. (Here's a hint on how to do this.)

Just "cd .." will go up one level.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just "cd .." will go up one level.

I have been doing that for the past hour. 

- Albert Einstein

$ cp drama/                                                                                          $ cd drama                                                                         $ cp biopic/cleopatra.txt historical/                                              $ cd historical/                                                                                     $ cd                                                                                                        

Same Error

- Albert Einstein

I have been doing that for the past hour. 

then that website is broken

then that website is broken

Well that sucks

It keeps saying use the cp command 

- Albert Einstein

Well that sucks

It keeps saying use the cp command 

that's to copy files.  That's completely different

that's to copy files.  That's completely different

Fucks. Linux is Complicated...

- Albert Einstein

Fucks. Linux is Complicated...

lol not really.  Windows has those same commands actually (more or less).  You'll notice how vastly superior Linux is in that department when you start getting to more advanced things though

lol not really.  Windows has those same commands actually (more or less).  You'll notice how vastly superior Linux is in that department when you start getting to more advanced things though

I like linux

- Albert Einstein

I like linux

good :)

OK, back to this, what exactly is the question currently?  If it's asking you to use cp, I'm pretty sure we've moved beyond the "move up one directory" part

good :)

OK, back to this, what exactly is the question currently?  If it's asking you to use cp, I'm pretty sure we've moved beyond the "move up one directory" part

i have given up on code acdemy. any vital command you can recommend?

- Albert Einstein

i have given up on code acdemy. any vital command you can recommend?

well you'll need the basics like cd, mv, cp, ls, cat, man, more, find, chmod, chown, grep, exit, and nano, at an absolute minimum IMO.  And operators like >, >>, and |.  That should give you a decent ability to navigate and be useful in the terminal if you ever have to limit yourself to just it.

well you'll need the basics like cd, mv, cp, ls, cat, man, more, find, chmod, chown, grep, exit, and nano, at an absolute minimum IMO.  And operators like >, >>, and |.  That should give you a decent ability to navigate and be useful in the terminal if you ever have to limit yourself to just it.

Can You Explain Each Command?

- Albert Einstein

Can You Explain Each Command?

there are manuals for this purpose but I'll give a very quick/simple common example of each

• cd: cd /my/folder (takes you to that location)
  • mv: mv current_name new_name (renames and/or moves a file)
  • cp: (same as mv but copies)
  • ls: ls (lists files and folders in current directory.  you may also like "ls -lta")
  • cat: cat myfile.txt (displays a file)
  • man: man cd (what you should be using on all of these :))
  • more: ls -lta | more (displays one screen of text then waits for input to continue)
  • chmod: chmod -R 755 /my/folder (changes permissions of a file or folder)
  • chown: chown -R root.root /my/folder (changes owner)
  • grep: ls -lta | grep rwx (filters output)
  • exit: exit (logs out, closes session, etc.)
  • nano: (a terminal based text editor, like vi but much less powerful and more user friendly)

And I should throw in a few more:

• mkdir: mkdir myfolder (makes a folder)
  • rm: rm -dfr / (removes a file or directory)
  • top: top (terminal task manager)
  • killall: killall xorg (kills a process)
  • pwd: pwd (tells you where you are)
  • whoami: whoami (tells you who you are)

I'll just assume you can use su and sudo since (in the systems where relevant) that's kind of essential to get permission to do certain things.  Basically put sudo before anything to do it as root, or go sudo su root to change to root and then all things will run as root.

There's a lot more, including things like shutdown, tail, ln, ifconfig/iwconfig, lsof, rsync, which, etc. as well as platform specific things like apt-get that might come in handy but you've got the basics to be useful now.