My computer is doing sketchy stuff.

Matthew Bunn
Go to solution Solved by Qub3d,

Everything that you've shown so far points to the same thing: Your motherboard is turning on, and looking for a storage device that is bootable (has a "boot" flag in the Master Boot Partition). Since it isn't finding it, a few things are possible:

1. The storage drive is dead
  2. The storage drive is corrupted
  3. The motherboard is corrupted
  4. A power or data cable is loose

For the first three, these are issues that novice users can't really solve on their own. If your device is still under warranty, I'd highly recommend an "RMA" or Return-Merchandise Authorization. You will have to pay between 10-20 dollars to ship the device out, but Asus will fix and return it for free.

Before that, if you feel comfortable removing the bottom of the laptop and checking the connections to your hard-drive are secure and fully plugged in, that alone may fix your issue. While hard drives CAN fail suddenly (I've had my share do that) they generally start performing slowly and making strange noises first. If you haven't noticed this, the hard drive may be simply not getting power. If its an SSD, then it may have failed outright, in which case you should still RMA.

I was just doing normal things that I do every day and all of a sudden my computer and freezes and blue screens. After Windows 10 does its diagnosis my computer boots into a bios I've never seen before. I attached a picture of it. In the BIOS there's a save and exit option. I tried it but it just restarts into the BIOS again. I tried turning off the computer via the off button on my computer but when I turned it on it just went back into the BIOS. What is going on? I'm already out of ideas. Is it a virus of some sort? Does anyone recognize the BIOS?

post-257729-0-58765600-1449099638_thumb.post-257729-0-28100800-1449099798_thumb.post-257729-0-35787000-1449099827_thumb.post-257729-0-54201900-1449099856_thumb.post-257729-0-78018900-1449099874_thumb.

looks like your computer cant find a device to boot from, so just goes into bios.

is there a chance that your storage medium of choice died?

That is your PC's BIOS. If your PC is having problems booting off your primary boot device (likely your hard drive) it will go on to the next device. The BIOS is usually the last option. First, check to see if your computer is recognizing the hard drive in BIOS. Likely under the Boot tab.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

From the looks of it, it's saying I don't have any options to boot from. I put up pictures of all the menus.

looks like your computer cant find a device to boot from, so just goes into bios.

is there a chance that your storage medium of choice died?

There's no reason for it to have died. My laptop is brand new and the OS was on an SSD. My computer was acting completely normal before this happened.

There's no reason for it to have died. My laptop is brand new and the OS was on an SSD. My computer was acting completely normal before this happened.

eh, you'd be surprised how many DOA laptops i've seen in the past year alone...

eh, you'd be surprised how many DOA laptops i've seen in the past year alone...

DOA?

DOA?

dead on arrival.

basicly, for whatever reason sometimes a product gets trough testing in the factory, but once the end user plugs it in at home (or uses it for a week or two) it ends up not working as intended, or not at all.

i've seen 5 lenovo laptops kick the bucket within a month of purchase.

dead on arrival.

basicly, for whatever reason sometimes a product gets trough testing in the factory, but once the end user plugs it in at home (or uses it for a week or two) it ends up not working as intended, or not at all.

i've seen 5 lenovo laptops kick the bucket within a month of purchase.

Okay, when I said "brand new," I didn't exactly mean it, I've had this computer for 8+ months now, but it's still new, sorta... There's never been a major problem like this one before. Also, it's made by ASUS. Not Lenovo.

What should I do? It says there is no boot option but when I look in the Sata configuration menu it says all the storage drives are there. And it doesn't let me create boot options, it just let's me delete them. Would the fact that my OS drive was pretty much completely full have anything to do with it? Because last time I checked, it was pretty full.

look for boot menu, and make sure its enabled. next time your PC turns on, hit the boot menu key. Its usually F12. If your hard drive is detected, it should be listed in the boot menu. select your OS hard drive, and post the results.

look for boot menu, and make sure its enabled. next time your PC turns on, hit the boot menu key. Its usually F12. If your hard drive is detected, it should be listed in the boot menu. select your OS hard drive, and post the results.

I found the boot menu. Make sure what's enabled? I tried starting my computer while holding the f12 button. I still just went to the BIOS like I have the past twenty times. Like I said before, my BIOS isn't detecting either of my THREE hard drives as boot options. However, I know at least my two hard drives are working because the BIOS lists them in the Sata configuration selection. But it lists three devices. I have three storage drives, two hard drives and a SSD. In the SATA configuration menu, it lists the two hard drives and it lists as "hard disks," the third device (which should be my SSD) it lists as "ASAPI CDROM." So yeah, where's my SSD and why is my optical drive in my SATA configuration? Help!post-257729-0-99494300-1449110661_thumb.post-257729-0-23090000-1449110685_thumb.

I've got the ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71

if you have another computer available see if you can make a linux (or other) bootable usb... instructions here on how to make a ubuntu drive http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

if this boots it, then there is nothing wrong with your computer itself, but maybe something wrong with the boot disk. Additionally you can see from within linux if the main drive is connected. When you do this, please share the results and i can further assist

The Port 5 device is your 128gb Kingston SSD.

...and why wouldn't your optical drive be in your sata config?  Lol.  How do you think it's connected...

EDIT:  I would also be willing to bet that you only have 2 hard disks...and that your 1tb travelstar probably just has 2 partitions.

I had many issues with fast boot on multiple client machines.

Disable it and then see if it clears up any issue (if not, re-enable it)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I had many issues with fast boot on multiple client machines.

Disable it and then see if it clears up any issue (if not, re-enable it)

Launch/enable CSM and go into the Secure Boot Menu (Security tab).  Disable secure boot from there.

The Port 5 device is your 128gb Kingston SSD.

...and why wouldn't your optical drive be in your sata config?  Lol.  How do you think it's connected...

EDIT:  I would also be willing to bet that you only have 2 hard disks...and that your 1tb travelstar probably just has 2 partitions.

That explains a lot...

Launch/enable CSM and go into the Secure Boot Menu (Security tab).  Disable secure boot from there.

I did that and it brought me to this.post-257729-0-98797600-1449167680_thumb.

Everything that you've shown so far points to the same thing: Your motherboard is turning on, and looking for a storage device that is bootable (has a "boot" flag in the Master Boot Partition). Since it isn't finding it, a few things are possible:

1. The storage drive is dead
  2. The storage drive is corrupted
  3. The motherboard is corrupted
  4. A power or data cable is loose

For the first three, these are issues that novice users can't really solve on their own. If your device is still under warranty, I'd highly recommend an "RMA" or Return-Merchandise Authorization. You will have to pay between 10-20 dollars to ship the device out, but Asus will fix and return it for free.

Before that, if you feel comfortable removing the bottom of the laptop and checking the connections to your hard-drive are secure and fully plugged in, that alone may fix your issue. While hard drives CAN fail suddenly (I've had my share do that) they generally start performing slowly and making strange noises first. If you haven't noticed this, the hard drive may be simply not getting power. If its an SSD, then it may have failed outright, in which case you should still RMA.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

• The storage drive is dead
  • The storage drive is corrupted
  • The motherboard is corrupted
  • A power or data cable is loose

Ok, thanks for your help.

Thanks a lot guys! My computer is packed and ready to be shipped to ASUS. Although this might not sound like a good thing, I would have never been able to come to this conclusion without your input and I would still be trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with my computer. Thank you once again!