LiFi misconceptions

qepsilonp

In WAN Show Linus and Luke seemed to be mistaken about how you would use Li-Fi and how it would work so I thought I would explain the biggest misconception is that you would have to have a separate light for lighting you home and the lights for LiFi nope, what you could do is replace your lights in your current light fittings with Li-Fi lights with powerline adapters to boost download speed when used in conjunction with WiFi or the Cellular network for uploads.

this means the light will be as strong as a normal light so not only do you not need a direct line of sight if your doors open in the room that the LiFi light is in if your in the hallway you could still have a connection never mind if someone were to step in behind you and put you in some shade as light bouses off walls and it would not put you in anywhere near enough darkness to cut off the connection.

With this approach you could use a one crappy WiFI access point and put in LiFi lights in every room and while you may only get 1Mbps uploads speed your download speed with the limitation of powerline adapters would be around 200 - 500Mbps reliably which the upload speed is enough to do most things like browsing the web and etc but that 200 - 500Mbps is enough to watch 8k video easily etc.

your not going to be on-line gaming with that but for use with mobile and tablets its perfect and all you need on the device is a simple dirt cheap light sensor and nothing else really a independent processor to decode the light singles would be good but you don't need one as the end device would already have a processor, you don't need 200Gbps as said 200 - 500Mbps would be more than enough and a ordinary light sensor is enough to get that done.

Also Light pollution to a point doesn't matter as your not looking at the total amount of light your looking for small changes on a very small time scale so for example me flashing another light manually right into the sensor will not matter as the total amount of light doesn't matter its being able to detect the small changes in light, obviously it will effect the transfer speed but given the theoretical maximum 200 - 500Mbps is very achievable under those circumstance and it would probably be limited to those speeds as not to be effected in the first place.

Points for paragraphing, points taken away for punctuation.  This was harder to read than I thought.. But I get your point, I think.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Points for paragraphing, points taken away for punctuation.  This was harder to read than I thought.. But I get your point, I think.

Sorry was just trying to bash this out as fast as possible because I don't care that much, as I personally use a desktop and there for a wired connection almost all the time so it doesn't effect me. Also misconceptions of people in generally don't matter as long as the people developing it understand so its going to come one way or the other.

Same here, the grammar (or lack thereof) made it a little tricky to get through, but I think I understand the point you're trying to make. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Great stuff!  clearing things up

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii