Windows 10 clean install?

Hemanse
Go to solution Solved by Kherm,

Im getting mixed messages here  :P

The November Update changes the way activation works, you can trust me. 

Finally gonna take the plunge and install Windows 10, never went for 8 or 8.1, still on Windows 7, feel like its time to try something new since i need to do a full reinstall anyway. I heard that in the beginning you had to do the upgrade before you could do a full reinstall, but also read that that step is now not needed, i downloaded the newest installer and made a usb bootable stick, but just to make sure i thought i would ask here first, can i just pop in the stick and do a clean install or do i actually need to upgrade first?

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Nope. With the november update, you can clean install without upgrading. When it asks for a product key you can just put in your Windows 7 one. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Finally gonna take the plunge and install Windows 10, never went for 8 or 8.1, still on Windows 7, feel like its time to try something new since i need to do a full reinstall anyway. I heard that in the beginning you had to do the upgrade before you could do a full reinstall, but also read that that step is now not needed, i downloaded the newest installer and made a usb bootable stick, but just to make sure i thought i would ask here first, can i just pop in the stick and do a clean install or do i actually need to upgrade first?

You need to upgrade. What I would do is re-install windows 7 and then install Windows 10. That is the easiest from how many times I've upgraded.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

Nope. With the november update, you can clean install without upgrading. When it asks for a product key you can just put in your Windows 7 one. 

You need to upgrade. What I would do is re-install windows 7 and then install Windows 10. That is the easiest from how many times I've upgraded.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE

You can do what Kherm said, but I would reccomend doing \what I said, as I have had to install Windows 10 at least 5 times. Also, if you have partitions, it erases all of them.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

I believe you CAN clean install Windows 10, however if you want to take advantage of your free copy of it then you're going to have to install Windows 7 and register it before anything else happens. You're going to love Windows 10, it's great.

"What're you supposed to be? A clown or something?"

"...Sometimes."

BUT HEY. Take Kherm's advice, he seems to be an expert ;)

"What're you supposed to be? A clown or something?"

"...Sometimes."

The way they should have done it on launch like all other upgrade versions .... 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Okay, so i just install Windows 10 with the usb key i created and when it asks for a key i put in my Win7 one? Would be easier than having to upgrade and reinstall again, thanks :)

I believe you CAN clean install Windows 10, however if you want to take advantage of your free copy of it then you're going to have to install Windows 7 and register it before anything else happens. You're going to love Windows 10, it's great.

According to Kherm that step seems to be fixed, so i guess ill just cross my fingers that a clean install of Windows 10 plus my already registered Windows 7 key will work :) And yeah feel like its time to try out Windows 10, hoping it runs a bit faster than Windows 7.

The way they should have done it on launch like all other upgrade versions .... 

Well, yeah. But at least they're constantly fixing and adding new features unlike Windows 7 where they kinda released it and all other updates afterwords were just bugfixes. 

You can do what Kherm said, but I would reccomend doing \what I said, as I have had to install Windows 10 at least 5 times. Also, if you have partitions, it erases all of them.

My OS is on a 256GB SSD on its own, so yeah i plan on just clearing it all out, i always do that when i reinstall, but ill try out a clean Win10 install and just hope the Win7 key works.