Windows Server 2012? What Da Heck!

Aavex
Go to solution Solved by Aavex,

Okay, this has been fixed....

Windows is just a bitch.........

Greetings,

I am building a home server and I am looking into a operating system to run it that

1. When uploading files, all files should go through the SSD then to the HDD
  2. Able to run 3rd party extensions like Plex Media
  3. Under 100 United States Dollars

The problem I am faced with is when I search Windows Server 2012 either the options come in Essentials R2 or some crap like that.

I want a simple liscense without too many things for a home and would like to use a Windows System. Any ideas?

Linus posted a video while working for NCIX about a home server and showcased the operating system I want

Best Regards and make sure to massage your motherboard with your hand!

Linus uses Windows Home Server 2011 in that video

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Windows Server 2012 comes in packages that have locked features. The higher tier you buy, the more you get. You won't get a license for under $100 unless you do two things, pirate or buy off reddit. 

You are best off using a Windows 7 license and you'll be fine. I was using a Win7 key on my server but had to switch to server 2008 because win7 won't work on 3 or more cpu's, where I have 4 quad cores.

If you are still thinking you need the server brand, Essentials is all you need. R2 just signifies it's the second release, like the Windows XP Pro SP2 (Service Pack 2)

Windows Server 2012 comes in packages that have locked features. The higher tier you buy, the more you get. You won't get a license for under $100 unless you do two things, pirate or buy off reddit. 

You are best off using a Windows 7 license and you'll be fine. I was using a Win7 key on my server but had to switch to server 2008 because win7 won't work on 3 or more cpu's, where I have 4 quad cores.

If you are still thinking you need the server brand, Essentials is all you need. R2 just signifies it's the second release, like the Windows XP Pro SP2 (Service Pack 2)

I am looking into Windows Home Server 2011 and I have heard it is less than 100 dollars based off of all the videos I have seen, do you know what I can do to get it at under 100 dollars? Not 2012 which is WIndows 8 Crap, I want 2011.

No, See this as a key to your apartment. That's basically what it is. You still have to pay the lease. For every roommate you have they have to buy a CAL key to get in.

No, See this as a key to your apartment. That's basically what it is. You still have to pay the lease. For every roommate you have they have to buy a CAL key to get in.

That is outrageous.....

So for every client on my server they would have to purchase this? 

As this is a home server I will have about.... 10 computers connected to this, so license for each one?

I am looking into Windows Home Server 2011 and I have heard it is less than 100 dollars based off of all the videos I have seen, do you know what I can do to get it at under 100 dollars? Not 2012 which is WIndows 8 Crap, I want 2011.

Link

That reddit link sells keys. I've done a few from there and just ask the guy if he has a 2011 key. If not 2012 R2 is $10

That is outrageous.....

So for every client on my server they would have to purchase this? 

As this is a home server I will have about.... 10 computers connected to this, so license for each one?

Yes, however the purpose of a SBS is to host a LDAP or Active Directory service for user authentication, print servers, etc for when they don't need a $10k setup. Like a tattoo shop would do that.

Yes, however the purpose of a SBS is to host a LDAP or Active Directory service for user authentication, print servers, etc for when they don't need a $10k setup. Like a tattoo shop would do that.

Do you know the best Windows Operating System for a home for something like a data server? Just for backups and etc and to also run some things like Plex Media.

As per this, I have a Pentium G3258 processor which is pretty good but will it be able to run all server tasks like managing users, scheduling backups, and worldwide login usage.