HDD problem need help

Mchedlo
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Hey there Mchedlo,

I would first try another cable alongside the other ports. Do try the drive on another system to verify the results of the tests. The screenshot that you provided does not show the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status so I would scroll to the right of the program and show them. 
If the drive has weird sounds coming from it your data may not be safe and it may be a goo idea to replace the drive. 
Depending on how you use the drive you could go with either WD Blue or WD Black. both are pretty reliable, work nice and fast and should be able to handle pretty much anything you throw at them. :) Here's a bit more info:
Post back when you get the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status or if you have any other questions :)

Captain_WD.

hello guys! :) recently my HDD (which I bought like 3 years ago) started making clicking sounds, failing to boot up, freezing sometimes and etc. yesterday it "died" couldn't boot up PC (it wasn't even recognized in BIOS), I tried unplugging like I always did but no effect, changed sata ports, still nothing. today it magically booted up and I was able to save all the data on external HDD. out of curiosity I downloaded program called Crystal Disc, to check how much damaged it is. but its showing health status: good... im confused! and also tomorrow I was gonna buy a new one, and sell this one to them in exchange of lower price on new one. can someone tell me whats wrong? I will post picture. what are those things written below? where does it show damage?

image.jpg

I'd just get a new one.  You can clone that drive onto an external drive and wait for a new one.  My hard drive recently "Died" but the windows boot loader actually got corrupted.  However, the fact that your BIOS doesn't recognize it is definitely not a good sign.

PS - Remember to follow your own post

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

-snip-

Your HDD is definitely having some issues seeing as it shows read and write errors. Im happy you got your stuff off of it. Now it MAY say it is good but if you hear clicking sounds and the words it could be the heads on the platters going bad. I would clean that puppy out and get another one. 

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

hello guys! :) recently my HDD (which I bought like 3 years ago) started making clicking sounds, failing to boot up, freezing sometimes and etc. yesterday it "died" couldn't boot up PC (it wasn't even recognized in BIOS), I tried unplugging like I always did but no effect, changed sata ports, still nothing. today it magically booted up and I was able to save all the data on external HDD. out of curiosity I downloaded program called Crystal Disc, to check how much damaged it is. but its showing health status: good... im confused! and also tomorrow I was gonna buy a new one, and sell this one to them in exchange of lower price on new one. can someone tell me whats wrong? I will post picture. what are those things written below? where does it show damage?

image.jpg

Just get a new one. if it is making clicking sounds something's not right

I'd just get a new one.  You can clone that drive onto an external drive and wait for a new one.  My hard drive recently "Died" but the windows boot loader actually got corrupted.  However, the fact that your BIOS doesn't recognize it is definitely not a good sign.

PS - Remember to follow your own post

Your HDD is definitely having some issues seeing as it shows read and write errors. Im happy you got your stuff off of it. Now it MAY say it is good but if you hear clicking sounds and the words it could be the heads on the platters going bad. I would clean that puppy out and get another one. 

thank you for replies guys! :)  should I bother with cloning if the HDD is not working properly? yes I want to buy a new one too :) its been pretty long. im just thinking which brand to buy. I always had WD blue and it always failed me :((

thank you for replies guys! :)  should I bother with cloning if the HDD is not working properly? yes I want to buy a new one too :) its been pretty long. im just thinking which brand to buy. I always had WD blue and it always failed me :((

you can still clone it if its working. I would rather clean install it myself but it would save you the hassle if you cannot be bothered doing that.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

WD black is usually the way to go for good, reliable desktop HDDs...

and as for the cloning, it shouldn't damage the other drive unless there is some sort of error with the other one

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

WD black is usually the way to go for good, reliable desktop HDDs...

and as for the cloning, it shouldn't damage the other drive unless there is some sort of error with the other one

you can still clone it if its working. I would rather clean install it myself but it would save you the hassle if you cannot be bothered doing that.

I deleted everything from disks, except local C. I will install a fresh windows in some minutes. im thinking about selling this one.  I don't need more than 500GB storage + im gonna buy SSD soon for my new build :))

I deleted everything from disks, except local C. I will install a fresh windows in some minutes. im thinking about selling this one.  I don't need more than 500GB storage + im gonna buy SSD soon for my new build :))

honestly if it doesnt work right now i wouldnt sell it. Thats my personal opinion but if your having issues with the drive, just toss it.

honestly if it doesnt work right now i wouldnt sell it. Thats my personal opinion but if your having issues with the drive, just toss it.

by selling I don't mean exactly selling. I don't know how its called in English. there is a guy who sells new HDD. but also he buys used/damaged HDD-s and gives specific price for each of them. though he doesn't take critical damaged ones

by selling I don't mean exactly selling. I don't know how its called in English. there is a guy who sells new HDD. but also he buys used/damaged HDD-s and gives specific price for each of them. though he doesn't take critical damaged ones

oh kinda like recycling i got yah

Than make sure that you overwrite the HDD once to delete the data,

yes! :) exactly

Yeah seems like the best route to go

thank you for your help every1 :)) I don't know how to close topic sorry, if any administrator sees this, feel free to close it :)

thank you for your help every1 :)) I don't know how to close topic sorry, if any administrator sees this, feel free to close it :)

just mark the best answer as solved

How old is the drive?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

~snip~

Hey there Mchedlo,

I would first try another cable alongside the other ports. Do try the drive on another system to verify the results of the tests. The screenshot that you provided does not show the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status so I would scroll to the right of the program and show them. 
If the drive has weird sounds coming from it your data may not be safe and it may be a goo idea to replace the drive. 
Depending on how you use the drive you could go with either WD Blue or WD Black. both are pretty reliable, work nice and fast and should be able to handle pretty much anything you throw at them. :) Here's a bit more info:
Post back when you get the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status or if you have any other questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/