A new monitor

David_comet

Sorry if this is a dumb question but i need help anyways.

I just purchased a new monitor and it doesnt work.

When i turn on my pc it works fine i can see the hp logo and things like that so i know its working and the cable is plugged in but when it comes to the windows screen it goes black and says no signal in a small box then turns off.

The pc is working fine because when i plug in a diffrent monitor it works fine.

The old monitor uses hdmi and the new one uses vga i think it might be something because of that but im not sure.

Thanks

When i turn on my pc it works fine i can see the hp logo and things like that so i know its working and the cable is plugged in but when it comes to the windows screen it goes black and says no signal in a small box then turns off.

The old monitor uses hdmi and the new one uses vga i think it might be something because of that but im not sure.

Thanks

Did you plug the display cable into your motherboard or into your graphics card?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Thanks

check your input if there is more than one vga or hdmi make sure your monitor is set to the port your plugged into

Did you plug the display cable into your motherboard or into your graphics card?

Motheboard

Motheboard

Try it into your graphics card, if you have one.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

how many vga ports are on the monitor or hdmi, how many are there of the same port on the monitor

Try it into your graphics card, if you have one.

Theres no vga input on my graphics card but there is a dvi so i cant run into town and get a dvi cable if u think thats the problem.

Theres no vga input on my graphics card but there is a dvi so i cant run into town and get a dvi cable if u think thats the problem.

what ports are on your graphics card?

also your graphics card doesnt do its job unless you plug into it.

what ports are on your graphics card?

Just hdmi and dvi but there is vga on the motherboard(what would that be for if not a monitor)

Just hdmi and dvi but there is vga on the motherboard(what would that be for if not a monitor)

ok now what ports did you say were on the monitor

ok now what ports did you say were on the monitor

Just dvi and vga

Just dvi and vga

then go to a store or online and get a dvi to dvi cable

or an dvi to vga

oran hdmi to dvi 

or an hdmi to vga

the best one to get is dvi to dvi ... or hdmi to dvi

example     http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Rated-Speed-Bi-Directional/dp/B00K7HECTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448904221&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi&psc=1

that would be for if you didnt have a graphics card

To avoid confusion, just list your graphics card/pc and your new monitor.

that would be for if you didnt have a graphics card

I have a graphics card it only has two inputs hdmi and dvi 

I have a graphics card it only has two inputs hdmi and dvi 

To avoid confusion, just list your graphics card/pc and your new monitor.