Random FPS Drops

Cavasi
Go to solution Solved by Cavasi,

My CPU Was in fact thermal throttling. I was sitting at 65 C idle. (HOT ASF)

I was able to solve this by doing a number of things.

1st I moved my computer out of the box it was sitting in. That lowered temps by about 10 C. Then, I ran to Best Buy and bought these uber sexy $5 120mm Antec Blue LED Fans, installed them, and I'm sitting at ~30 C idle now, 45-50 C while gaming :) 

Hello.

So basically, in every game, no matter what, I can push a solid 150+ frames. My setup is an FX 8350, R9 290, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 650w PSU, Windows 10, 1TB HDD. Problem is, I can't maintain these frames. What so ever. Just about every minute or so, the frames go down all the way from the 150+ to under 20. Making the game UNPLAYABLE :( . They then go back up but repeat about once every minute or so. 

In CS:GO, early on (when i built the PC in April), I was able to counter these FPS drops by capping my frames at 120 . This solved my issue for a while, but then the FPS drops came back. So then, I capped my FPS at 60. For a while, the issue was solved, but just recently (a few days ago) the drops came back! This is extremely irritating and I know for a fact that my computer is very capable of holding a high framerate. (My computer from 2006 was capable of holding a steady 45 frames in cs:go without dipping under 45, and it was a crappy quad core 2.6ghz amd cpu, 7gb ddr2 ram, Radeon 6670 1GB.) It seems that FPS drops are much more frequent when the game FPS is left uncapped, or at fps_max 0. 

For games like minecraft, I wasn't able to do anything to counter the FPS drops. They've always persisted. 

Here's a picture of my CPU usage from one session of CS:GO, lasting about 5 minutes or so (There were about 5-6 fps spikes) The FPS of the game was capped at 60. 

vmDDgNU.png

rfug6Ch.png?1

4FJYDpy.png?1

Here is an album during a session of CS:GO, lasting 5 minutes in length, and this time, I uncapped the FPS. About 8-10 FPS Drops occurred.

This is what I've noticed while running these tests. When an FPS drop occurs, CPU1 shows the largest increase (going from ~50 [which is already higher than the other 7 CPU threads) to between 75-90) the others don't really push 60 whatever units MSI afterburner is measuring these in. (Yes, I know, it also monitors things :)

Something to note also, when using NZXT CAM, my my CPU temp is 65 C and gpu ~ 50-70C
Also, My Motherboard is an ASRock 970 Extreme3 r2.0

Nothing that would be using up my performance is running in the background, including antivirus/chrome.

All cores are unparked.

At idle, my CPU is at 65 C O.o I have a Hyper 212 EVO. Do you think my paste job is messed up?

Temps?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

SNIP

What motherboard have you put that 8350 in?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

do you have anything in the background running like say a firewall or antivirus?

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

What motherboard have you put that 8350 in?

ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 

Maybe try checking your connection between your GPU to your monitor ( ex. Having a splitter from VGA to DVI then into your monitor and/ or DVI to HDMI vica verse to your monitor ) sometimes that can produce FPS Drops

do you have anything in the background running like say a firewall or antivirus?

Nope

ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 

This is your problem. Install HWinfo64 and monitor your temps, it's possible that the board is thermal throttling.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Maybe try checking your connection between your GPU to your monitor ( ex. Having a splitter from VGA to DVI then into your monitor and/ or DVI to HDMI vica verse to your monitor ) sometimes that can produce FPS Drops

All ports are very secured and I am using just a direct connection HDMI cable that goes straight out of my 290 right into the back of my monitor.

All ports are very secured and I am using just a direct connection HDMI cable that goes straight out of my 290 right into the back of my monitor.

Reinstall your drivers?

This is your problem. Install HWinfo64 and monitor your temps, it's possible that the board is thermal throttling.

I've installed this, now what do I do with it?

Reinstall your drivers?

I've done so, multiple times. Even on the newest drivers, exact same issue. 

This may very well be the issue. AFAIK, the max safe operating temperature for my CPU is 62 C. I'm Idling at 65 C. Idling. What should I do? Install more case fans? Re-apply thermal paste?

This may very well be the issue. AFAIK, the max safe operating temperature for my CPU is 62 C. I'm Idling at 65 C. Idling. What should I do? Install more case fans? Re-apply thermal paste?

Snap the motherboard over your knee and replace it with a sabretooth 990fx, IIRC if you go into your bios and turn off APM it might get rid of some throttling. You can also put a fan on the CPU socket and on the VRM to help keep those cool but in all honesty, replacing the board will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Snap the motherboard over your knee and replace it with a sabretooth 990fx, IIRC if you go into your bios and turn off APM it might get rid of some throttling. You can also put a fan on the CPU socket and on the VRM to help keep those cool but in all honesty, replacing the board will save you a lot of time and hassle.

I have a coolermaster hyper 212 evo with a fan different from the stock one installed :/

How would getting a new montherboard lower my temps?

My CPU Was in fact thermal throttling. I was sitting at 65 C idle. (HOT ASF)

I was able to solve this by doing a number of things.

1st I moved my computer out of the box it was sitting in. That lowered temps by about 10 C. Then, I ran to Best Buy and bought these uber sexy $5 120mm Antec Blue LED Fans, installed them, and I'm sitting at ~30 C idle now, 45-50 C while gaming :)