Is my HDD dead? My PC won't boot

tomi1

I turned on my PC this morning, but it would only boot into the BIOS and my HDD wasn't being detected (it didn't show up on the boot device list). Everything was working just fine 12 hours ago.

After changing some settings in the BIOS and restarting my PC I somehow got it to recognize the HDD but I got the error: S.M.A.R.T Status Bad: Backup and Replace. I read on the internet that you could make the pc boot if you turned off SMART check on the BIOS. I did that and this time it booted until the windows 10 logo but it got stuck there for 10 min or so and got the error CRITICAL_PROCCESs_DIED.

I changed the SATA cable and plugged the HDD into another port and now the BIOS always detects it but I can't even get it to boot to the Windows logo anymore. After the BIOS logo I get a yellow, brown-ish screen with white vertical lines and a blinking cursor on the top left (that screen is usually black..)

I'm really lost. Is there anything I can do? Or is my HDD just plain dead?

I turned on my PC this morning, but it would only boot into the BIOS and my HDD wasn't being detected (it didn't show up on the boot device list). Everything was working just fine 12 hours ago.

After changing some settings in the BIOS and restarting my PC I somehow got it to recognize the HDD but I got the error: S.M.A.R.T Status Bad: Backup and Replace. I read on the internet that you could make the pc boot if you turned off SMART check on the BIOS. I did that and this time it booted until the windows 10 logo but it got stuck there for 10 min or so and got the error CRITICAL_PROCCESs_DIED.

I changed the SATA cable and plugged the HDD into another port and now the BIOS always detects it but I can't even get it to boot to the Windows logo anymore. After the BIOS logo I get a yellow, brown-ish screen with white vertical lines and a blinking cursor on the top left (that screen is usually black..)

I'm really lost. Is there anything I can do? Or is my HDD just plain dead?

Can you test the HDD elsewhere?

Can you test the HDD elsewhere?

I can not right now, but I will try tomorrow

Take an ESD-safe bag (look it up if you don't know what it is), wrap your hard drive in a paper towel and put it in the bag. Seal the bag as tightly as possible with as little air as possible. Stick it in the freezer for 8 hours. Take it out, let it "thaw" COMPLETELY (if there's any condensation on the inside and you try to power it on, it's a for sure dead HDD), rice-bag it, and put it back in your system. At this point, you have a limited amount of time to pull your data off if the trick works. Pull all of your precious files off of the HDD to a flash drive, and shut down the computer. If the HDD is dead, destroy it with a hard heavy metal object. You wouldn't want someone to snoop around in your resurrected drive after you chucked it in the trash. You can replace it with another HDD or an SSD or even both. If you want an HDD, the Western Digital Blue drive is good for daily use. The Western Digital Black series is good for performance use, and the Western Digital Green series is good for energy efficient use. If you want an SSD (which is recommended by nearly everyone), then you might want to look into the Intel 535 Series of solid state drives. They're a tad on the expensive side, but have legendary reliability. If you can find a good deal, then get an Intel 535 drive.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."